• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting Cage

ljs383

Warren Scout
Hi everyone I have two rabbits and one of them insists on biting the cage no matter what I put in there for him to bite. I've only had the cage since Feb and at the rate he's chewing through it I will have to buy another one soon!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to stop him doing this.

Thanks

Lynda, Molly and Frankie

Hey there! :wave:

I used to have a similar problem & found that apple tree branches (clean ones, without pesticides sprayed on them) worked really well.

I think to buns they are a tastier distraction than their hutches, plus stripping the bark off keeps them entertained!

Good luck! :)

Do your buns have teeth probs? Sometimes when rabbit's teeth are really uncomfortable they chew the bars of the cage.
Also, my little nethy does it to get attention :roll:

xxx

Hi thanks everyone I feed them Excel rabbit food hay and greens. I will have a look at his teeth check they are ok.

Lynda

my bun chews on and rattles the bars on her cage for attention and to be let out...................she will do it at 6:30 in a morning to get us up as she wants her breakfast......

caz

My little twinkle tich does it to get attention every morning as soon as it is light she comes out has a cuddle and if i am lucky she will go back to bed and i can do the same as she is in my bedroom

Try to change them from excel to Science Selective or Allen & Page. There are indications that excel could possibly make some bunnies hyperactive, which could result in cage bar chewing...

Vera

Hi thanks everyone for your suggestions I will look at some other food. They are in a 5ft by 2ft cage with the same size run attached is this too small?

Thanks

Lynda

my mady moo does this if she is in her cage and we are still in the flat - she gets very annoyed and chews and even shakes the cage, even if she's been out all day and then we are just about to go out and put her away and sorting stuff out quickly before going out. there she is shaking the cage, sure she will break it one of these days !

Back