• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes

What terrible news I am so sorry.

Please could you tell us how the fox got to them as it might prevent other bunnies from being killed.

Rabswood

I replied to your post in the Rainbow bridge forum but I just wanted to add something here...

Please dont blame yourself. Maybe there was something you could have done, maybe not. I know how hard it is to lose a bun 'unfairly'...I really do. It kills you inside :cry:
But please dont say you will never own rabbits again :(
They are wonderful creatures and need someone as loving as you to care for them.
Give it some time, and we can help you fox proof your garden when you are ready.

Just give yourself another chance. For us. For the rabbits :D

Leah

Please dont blame yourself. As I said on your other thread I thought HOUSE RABBITS were safe from Foxes. I was WRONG :cry: :cry:

I am crying so much now as I really know how bad you must feel. I never want to think of another Bunny Mummy/Daddy having to go through such a trauma.

Do PM me if you need to talk. It is an utterly devastating experience
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

Thank you all for your messages.

Bonnie, yes sorry they had a playhouse, I just put hutches as thats what most people seem to have.

Thank you for saying it was not my fault, but it truly was.
I had begun not closing their cat flap at night as Hann hated been locked in and would box at the flap trying to get out. The run was not attached to the playhouse so all the fox had to do was grab the mesh and pull it backwards to move it. I truly thought there was no way the run could be moved as it was so heavy- I struggled moving it myself each time I had to feed them. Even though the cat flap was not locked anyway it had also been ripped off.
I understand if people are angry with me as I am with myself as it sounds so so stupid to say that I did not make sure it was bolted on securely.

Basically I was very blase about the risk of foxes- I had never seen one around so stupidly thought there were not any. I left them as sitting ducks.

To find their bodies out on the garden this morning was just awful, I actually asked my boyfriend if I was dreaming.
I know that sounds stupid, but I just couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. I went out at 7.15 and we believe they had just been killed as their bodies were not yet stiff. I can't understand why we didn't hear anything as our bedroom overlooks the garden.

I've come home early from work as I just kept crying.

If I could turn back the clock I would do things so differently but I really believe to have more rabbits would put them in danger, even with fox proofing the area it would surely come back.

thanks everyone.

How awful!!!! :cry:

I feel for you, I really do.

No one can tell you you should have more buns in future if you don't feel comfortable with it, but please don't not havebuns because you think you're a bad bunny mummy - you're not.

When Leon died the lady at the rescue I go to said try to think about how wonderful his life was before he died, not that his life was cut short.

Also, when you're ready, you would be giving a lovel home to some buns who are very much in need.

Try not to beat yourself up - it's really not your fault.

You have been very brave to be so honest. Yes, you made a big error of judgement but OMG have you paid for it. You dont need anyone on here to make you feel worse. I doubt that would be possible.
I have read many posts on here from people saying 'Oh we dont have Foxes, we never see them, we have a dog/cat who would 'guard' the bunnies, we have a high fence etc...etc.
The truth is a Fox is always a threat to a rabbit and your honesty about your terrible circumstances will hopefully serve as a warning to others.

Mistakes and mis-judgements are made. None of us are perfect.
I think you have paid a very high price for your error and now I think you need our support, not condemnation.
Janex

I am so sorry! :cry:
I cannot even imagine the pain you are going through - please dont blame yourself... foxes are creatures that you can try and try and keep bunnies safe from but still they find their way in... :(
((( hugest hugz)))

as others have said please do not blame yourself.

I sometimes leave my buns in the garden free range and come in to make a cupper - i am being careless by doing that.

Fox's are very strong and determined. This may be of very little comfort but it would have happened so quickly.

They had a fab life with you. Pls do not stop having bunnies as you an give a great home. Fox's are everywhere, and prob visited your garden many nights. You have learnt from your mistake but as i said before, you are able to give a bunny a very good home.

This must be so hard for you and again i am so so sorry xx

Dont stop having rabbits, you are mad otherwise. I really can't see how you could see it being your fault really, only anyone could dare mention that if there wasnt a run there and they were left loose.
That wasnt the case, and its hard for anyone to really know what wild beasts are capable of when driven by urges.

But at the end of the day thats the nature of life, too late for hindsight. I think you did the best you possibly could do to extend a qty life to them, so dont punish y/self etc.

For the sake of needy animals dont stop having them, think of all the needy animals that could be put to sleep and its better to give a home and quality of life for but a stolen moment compared to our livespan, than none at all.
Just use your experience to give yourself a better advantage with keeping them in future. HTH

Back