• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wild baby rabbit

automaton

New Kit
I heard a shrieking noise last night and checked outside to find 2 cats harassing a baby rabbit. I took him in and put him in a box with some water and carrots and called the spca but they told me to just let it go because it will die if put in the van to take to the rescue centre. I have some concerns about just letting it go since it's very small, about the size of a fist. It doesn't appear to be injured and it did munch on a bit of carrot so it looks like it's weaned. No visible injuries but it was very traumatised when I got to it. What do I do with it? It is a wild animal as I've seen the big brown rabbits occasionally sitting next to the road. Do I release it or is it too small to fend for itself? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Can you release it near where you found it?

Since it made it through the night I'd say it had a good chance of surviving

I'd say if it's made it through the night then it's obviously a fighter. It will feel happier if it's in an environment it knows so releasing it into the wild is probably the best solution. If you've been keeping it in a dark, quiet place then it will probably have calmed down enough after its attack.

AMETHYST

Is there no wildlife sanctuary near you? Personally I would not release it back into the wild whatever age it is. She cannot go back into the wild as she would have no protection at all without her family and a burrow to live in and escape to when in danger.

Vera

It is probably best to let the bun go. If it was eating then it probably is weaned, meaning it has no use for its mother. Release it near where you found it. He will probably take off and stay clear of your house (and cats).

Baby bunnies start eating solids well before they are fully weaned. My wild rabbit was picked up at around 2 weeks old and was eating solids without problems; and still she shouldn't have been away from mum yet...

If she gets put back in the wild just like this without knowing where her family and burrow is, she will be a fox's or owl's dinner probably within hours as she will have absolutely no protection and nowhere to go in an emergency.

Vera

I'd be careful about releasing it, it now has your smell on it and will not be accepted by other rabbits even if it does find it's family.

I think the spca just didn't want to know that's why they said let it go. I agree with others that the poor little thing won't stand a chance if you let it go. Is there no wildlife rescue nearby who would take it?

Back