• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much more work is two rabbits?

Leesa

Warren Scout
I currently have a 1 yr old neutered male dwarf lop called Max (he has been on his own since we got him at 11 weeks old). I am now thinking of getting a female to keep him company on week days while me and my boyf are at work. He currently has our attention all evenings and weekends (bar when we are out), he is a house rabbit, but recently we bought a house and he now has a garden to play in aswell. I still have to talk my boyf round but after discussing it with my mum she thinks it will be a lot of extra work.

Would you say this is true? I feel mean lately as he sometimes looks a bored & sleepy when in his cage (ie just after I have come home from work). Also how big a cage would I need for 2 rabbits? And is there anywhere that sells large indoor cages?

Thanks

I much prefer having 2 rabbits, I don't think it's much more work at all... I think it's more fun :D Also better for the rabbit if he has a bunny friend to play with.
As for hutches, lots of people use a shed with a normal hutch in it. That seems to work well for 2 rabbits :)
If you want to keep him indoors you could use dog crates, play pens or just let them have free run of the house (or a room). Then they'll have plenty of space.

I think two is definitely better than one as it so lovely to watch them interact. My last bun was a lone one as he wouldn't accept another bun and I used to think he looked so sad and lonely on his own.

Not realy more work though you do have to consider extra costs like twice as much hay and two sets of vaccinations :)

I have found it's no more work, except I have two litter trays to clean, two bowls of veg to prepare... but then that takes all of a couple of minutes :D

I have found it's more expense in the way of cat litter, hay and food and then there's the vet bills.... :roll: It's totally worth it though, to see two very contented buns :D

i dont think its that much more extra work.. in fact i think sometimes its easier because they entertain each other so you dont have to worry about them being on their own if you are busy. Food isnt a great deal more than for just one, as Tamsin says the biggest difference is vet bills, twice as many vaccs

As has been said the only real difference is the extra jab bills etc, I find having four, five or six etc isn't much different, once you've paid out the initial amount for hutches/jabs etc it's not all that different, ask Jane though as she has 33!

The idea when I got him was that he was completley free range, however although he is now litter trained, and the wires are as out of the way as we can get them - he is very good at getting places he is not supposed to be and I don't trust him to be by himself all day and not hurt himself. An idea would be to make my spare bedroom into their day room, but don't think boyf would be happy with that - damn I knew I had a reason to buy a 3 bed instead of 2 bed!!

Not any more work, just more expensive at the vets.....but not a huge amount.
If they live together its still only one hutch to clean out. I have recently got a male to go with my female and i dont find i get through any extra food, i just throw less away...because veg goes of so quick when i had one bunny i couldnt use it fast enough so would end up throwing it away! :D

I find its less work. When Alfie was a single bun i used to feel very guilty leaving him on his own and spent alot of time in the garden with him.

Now he has Holly i know they are happy together and it frees up my time and i don't feel bad leaving them for a whole day when im at work.

They are also extremely clean and only have one litter tray to clean out!

How much more work is two rabbits?

Not as much as 8... :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resisit that one...).

I don't think 2 rabbits are much more work if they live together. You probably need to change the litter box/bedding twice as much, but that's it! It is the cost that can double up though!

Vera

I think its really important not to keep them on their own if you can help it. After having a single bun and then getting a friend for her and seeing the pleasure they get out of being together i would never have one on their own again. It isn't really any extra work, just as others have said, more cost on jabs, but hopefully that's only a couple of times a year. Go for it, you will be glad you did.

Do you think they would live happliy together if I had them in his cage, but left it open in the spare room fully buunny proofed so they could go in and out as they pleased? (Don't know what would do when we have guests to stay though).

To be honest the extra cost of jabs, food etc isn't worrying me (only vet bills if something goes horribly expensively wrong and they both got it) and I would quite happily give them the spare room for in the day time & come down to the lounge and garden at night & weekends. I don't really want a puppy pen in the lounge. I just need to convince my boyf (why I didn't just get 2 at the beginning?) to letting me have another!!

I think that would be fine!!

That's what I did but then the cage went! When guests come you can put them in the cage (the rabbits - not the guests! :lol: ). They won't mind if it's just a couple of nights,

I'd say 2 in no harder than 1. 4 is no harder than 2 if all bonded.

I got 12 & cos of how they all live, they are very low maintenance. I can clean them all completely out in an hour (every other day). Feeding takes 30 mins on a night (I check em over & change all water bottles), 10 mins in a morning. Nice & easy :D .
My main problem is attention. I can spend all day with them sometimes, but other days, I hardly see them. (Although when it was 2, it wasn't much different :oops: )

You could also consider pet insurance for your bunnies. As there's only 2 of them it'll come out relatively cheap and then you won't have to worry about unexpected illnesses.

AMETHYST

I don't think you can worry about stuff when you have pets, you have to just accept that they will get ill sometimes and deal with it if/when it happens. I have both mine insured. One of my previous buns (now departed :cry: ) was a very sickly girl and the insurance was invalueable.

If you have the space then get him a little friend, think how lonely you would be if you didn't have another human around you ever :)

Back