• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and behaviour

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so Mr Squidgy has never been de-plummed. It took a long time to get him healthy, and I daren't risk an operation when he first came to me. His health has been perfect (apart from small dose of ear mites :roll: ) for the past year, but as he lives on his own, we hadn't discussed neutering seriously.
However, he has now (for about 2 months) started ignoring all of his litter training, and peeing where he likes, which is obviously going down like a tonne of bricks around here!
So, last time we were at the vet, I mentioned it. It looks like Mr S will need his teeth burring at some point in the future, so i suggested getting his bits chopped at the same time.
The vet seemed to think that neutering will not change his behaviour now, as he is too old and has got into a routine. What do you all think? Is he right? Anyone have positive/ negative experiences of neutering older bunnies?

Then the vet is wrong. He will have hormones racing around which is why he is spraying everywhere - having him neutered will calm him down. And having it done now is safer than when he is older - you never know you may want a friend for him in a year or so's time. Once he has been neutered he will calm down. The op itself isn't too bad - jack was up and about that afternoon and ny the evening he was legging round the living room creating havoc as normal (takes a while for the hormones to settle down :lol: )

The vet I saw last time is my least favourite one. I think we'll opt for it being done anyway. At the moment Mr S gets company most of the day as the o/h works from home, but in the future we may want to get Mr S a girlfriend.
Squidgy ws rescued from a garden where he'd been left behind in a house move :cry: , so I'm not sure how old he is. I've had him 4 years.

If he's having a GA for his teeth then that sounds like a good oportunity :) Shouldn't effect his recovery, doesn't take much longer under GA and gives you options and might help with the litter tray.

Is he spraying or just weeing everywhere? Might be worth checking he doesn't have a urine infection?? Also does he still go in/out his tray okay? If he's getting a bit stiff and can't jump in his tray as easy then that might put him off using it :)

Tam

He is spraying, usually all over me :roll: . He's fine getting in and out of his tray as he has his hay in there - no problems. I think we'll get him done when he has his teeth done. He wpn't be very happy that night :D

Back