• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat flaps

nicole

Mama Doe
How do you train a bun to use a cat flap?

Just installed one on dougals shed so he can go out into his run.

We installed one for ours, and for the 1st few days, my other O/H wedged the flap open, just to get them use to going in and out thru the gap. then we just put it down, and they worked out how to get out,

Now it sounds like a stream train when 3 of them go thru at the same time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When jack goes in the carry box if the door is half open his weight makes it often shut behind him - he tends to turn round and open it fully (with his teeth) and then turn back to destroying the blanket that I keep in it!!! He worked out if he pushes it fully open it stays that way without any help from me!!

My two have a cat flap to go between their hutch and their run. They learnt to use it incredibly quickly - within about half an hour. I sat in the run with them and any time they went near the cat flap, i would push it open for them and being nosy as rabbits are, they would usually go through. Once they had learned they could gain access through it, they became determined to open it themselves. Milo now uses his teeth to push it open by trying to bite it and tess pushes it open with the top of her head. I am pretty sure your mini lop would be able to get through it ok. Milo is only 1.4 kg and he manages just fine, even though the magnet is quite strong.

I didnt teach them..................both my bunny's must of seen my cat go through and now when ever there out in the garden if i turn my back for a second there through the cat flap and in the front room :roll: :lol:
They both do it (not together though because there not bonded...yet :D

:? I taught my cats/dogs, to use the catflap by pushing them gently through it a few times... I feel kinda mean now :lol: Rattything (my first rat) learned her self when I went into the back garden without her :shock:

Back