• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help skinny bun stopped eating

willowflower

Warren Scout
hi i'm a very new rabbit owner and my rabbit has me really worried.
when i first got him my vet said he was overweight that i was to cut him down to four handfuls of food a day. i did this and he lost weight but now he's just stopped eating his pellets and his hay. (he will still eat veg)
i'm in a panic because he goes in to be neutered tomorrow and the vet says his weight is fine but you can see all of his ribs and he's went kind of hollow
help please

four handfulls a day :shock: Isnt that alot? I give mine one handfull and i still think that's to much the vet said only half a handfull, what do you feed them on? :D

he's fed on the supa rabbit excel. thats what my vet recommended she thinks my rabbit is maybe crossed with a giant breed he's only six months and already the same size as the cat.

thing is he used to empty the bowl completely eat all the hay and the vegetables.

i'm worried because he's so thin he might not make it through the op

Don't take him to be neutered if he is not eating, it is very important that he is in good health when it is done, or the anesthetic risk is much higher, and he could have serious digestive trouble afterwards too.

One handful of pellets a day is all a rabbit needs, plus unlimited hay and grass plus a bit of veg for a treat treat.

If he has lost weight while having that much food there is probably something wrong with him - has he had his teeth checked? That is a common reason that rabbits stop eating their hard food. Or he may be having a bit of digestive bother. Either way he needs to see the vet, but not to be castrated until he is well enough.

edit -Ah if he is young he will need more food if he is still growing, but he still shouldn't have lost weight on that much. Excel is not a good feed. It is infuriating that vets recomend it:( It is too high in protein and doesn't have enough fibre. Rabbits often don't eat their casecotrophs when on that food. Science selective is a far better better food.

doorkeeper said:
Don't take him to be neutered if he is not eating, it is very important that he is in good health when it is done, or the anesthetic risk is much higher, and he could have serious digestive trouble afterwards too.

One handful of pellets a day is all a rabbit needs, plus unlimited hay and grass plus a bit of veg for a treat treat.

If he has lost weight while having that much food there is probably something wrong with him - has he had his teeth checked? That is a common reason that rabbits stop eating their hard food. Or he may be having a bit of digestive bother. Either way he needs to see the vet, but not to be castrated until he is well enough.

edit -Ah if he is young he will need more food if he is still growing, but he still shouldn't have lost weight on that much. Excel is not a good feed. It is infuriating that vets recomend it:( It is too high in protein and doesn't have enough fibre. Rabbits often don't eat their casecotrophs when on that food. Science selective is a far better better food.
I've always used excel, it was recomended to me on here? :?

Just added a poll onto rabbit chat, about Excell, i would hate to think im feeding the wrong type of food :?

Pepsi.. excel is an ok feed but there are other feeds which are higher in fibre than excel which mean they are alot better for rabbits :wink: The higher level of protein sometimes causes rabbits to have excess caecal poops which other feeds usually stop.

my two are on excel lite. it's much higher in fibre for them. they only have a small handful a day and then lots of hay and some veg.

Diddeen said:
Pepsi.. excel is an ok feed but there are other feeds which are higher in fibre than excel which mean they are alot better for rabbits :wink: The higher level of protein sometimes causes rabbits to have excess caecal poops which other feeds usually stop.
I just did a poll, and after seeing the result i am def conciderin changing over to A&P. Thanks :D

A&P is the best -I use it :D But as it comes in such huge sacks and can be hard to get hold of I usually recomend SS as it is good too. I used to use Excel but the mess was dreadful, uneaten caecotrophs everywhere :roll:

Back