• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What has killed rabbits? U/D results in

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
My friend who has several rabbits has just called me.

In the last week 3 of her rabbits have died.
2 Males have gone off their food, had difficulty breathing and one died screaming. Prior to their deaths they were hanging in their water bowls as though they wanted to get in- so perhaps suggests a high temperature?

One female died haemoroging (sp) - may not be related as vet suspected UDI (or something like that cannot remember exact term she used).

NONE lived together.
They are not vaccinated.

Having looked up the symptoms of VHD this sounds like this could be what they died of but i know a lot of rabbit illnesses cause symptoms like difficulty breathing etc. My friend is having a postmortem done but the results will not be back for 2 days, so does anyone have any ideas?

Oh dear that sounds awful :cry: How many more rabbits does she have - I would be getting them vaccinated ASAP, it does sound like it could be VHD (and even if it isn't, vaccination is obviously a good thing to do!).

The female may have had uterine cancer/infection which is what caused her bleeding, although to be honest with others dying I'd be more inclined to worry that it is the same thing.

Infection control from the areas that the sick rabbits were in, to where the others are, is absolutely VITAL. I'd suggest she gets hold of some virkon which is one of the best disinfectants for both bacteria and viruses, and gives the whole place a really thorough scrub over.

Fingers crossed the post mortem can identify a problem, as that is half the battle towards preventing it recurring - but in the meantime there are definitely some things she can do to help protect the remaining ones.

How very sad :cry:
Sounds horribly like VHD to me :cry:
URGENT action is needed to try to protect the remainining rabbits.
Vaccination is ESSENTIAL
Disposal of all hutches used by deceased rabbits
Isolate all rabbits known to have direct or territorial contact with deceased rabbits
Quarantine premises. So NO access for ANYONE other than those essential for caring for the rabbits
Until VHD has been ruled out any Veterinary attention should be given onsight. Rabbits should NOT be taken to Vet's premises
Incubation period of VHD is 3-4 days

Janex

So sad....

That's so sad, the poor poor things! My vet said the boys didn't need VHD vaccine as is virtually unheard of in scotland, but I still worry :? - I might go in a cpl of wks and jst demand they get it? She can't say no can she, cuz it won't do any harm?

Re: So sad....

lucyj said:
That's so sad, the poor poor things! My vet said the boys didn't need VHD vaccine as is virtually unheard of in scotland, but I still worry :? - I might go in a cpl of wks and jst demand they get it? She can't say no can she, cuz it won't do any harm?
One of the members on here, Phill, lost alot of her rabbits last year through VHD and she is in scotland so i wouldnt listen to your vet's advice to be honest :?

lucyj said:

My local vet said the same thing so I went to a vet a further 5 miles away who would give the VHD jabs.

Aww, poor poor rabbits, that's sounds horrible :cry: :cry: It's nearly making me cry reading it :( I hope the other rabbits she has are ok!

lucyj said:

I'd definitely get it done, just incase. It may become more popular in Scotland one day :? Better safe than sorry! :D

xEMMAx said:
I'd definitely get it done, just incase. It may end up in Scotland one day :? Better safe than sorry! :D

It has been in Scotland!! One of our dear members unfourtunatly found that out the hard way :cry:

xxx

thank you for your replies guys. Will talk to my friend again in the morning- I did mention VHD to her but she was not convinced the rabbit haemorging was connected, which to me sounded like the biggest clue to it being VHD.
Unfortunately as she has so many rabbits she is not in a position to vaccinate them all until she has a defiante answer from the post mortem
(Ie. she could not cover the cost for so many, but if it means life or death for them then she will of course find the money from somewhere.)

In regards to what other people have said...my vet also said VHD jab wasn't that important :roll: but for the sake of around £15 I believe it is more than worth it to protect our rabbits.

Charliesangel said:
xEMMAx said:
I'd definitely get it done, just incase. It may end up in Scotland one day :? Better safe than sorry! :D

It has been in Scotland!! One of our dear members unfourtunatly found that out the hard way :cry:

xxx

Yeah, I just read the other post then edited mine :oops:

mandy said:
In regards to what other people have said...my vet also said VHD jab wasn't that important :roll: but for the sake of around £15 I believe it is more than worth it to protect our rabbits.

Oh definitely!!
Silly vets :roll:

Thanks

Ok it's done next week, my other debts can wait, I'm not chancing it. Especially not after reading this, "died screaming", my heart would break. She didn't advise against it, she just said it wasn't necessary, and she's pretty nice so I'm sure if I say that I want them to get it she won't refuse.

Re: Thanks

lucyj said:
Ok it's done next week, my other debts can wait, I'm not chancing it. Especially not after reading this, "died screaming", my heart would break. She didn't advise against it, she just said it wasn't necessary, and she's pretty nice so I'm sure if I say that I want them to get it she won't refuse.

If I ever heard any of my rabbits scream I'd be crying hysterically, I read in one of my bunny books it's a sign that they are dying and in pain if they scream :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah they won't refuse... it's more money for them :roll:

Poor poor things. Def sounds like VHD, mine had their myxi today and are going back for the VHD in 10 days.

T
x

Not all VHD rabbits bleed out when they die. Sometimes their is no symptoms at all, or just slightly off colour the day before.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Not all VHD rabbits bleed out when they die. Sometimes their is no symptoms at all, or just slightly off colour the day before.

Tam

Yes, basically VHD causes necrosis of the Liver (the liver 'dies'). The Liver is involved in the blood clotting process so haemorrhage can occur anywhere in the body and only become evident at post mortem examination
:cry: :cry:

Janex

I would have a word with Phill as she knows first hand about VHD and can give you some really sound advice. Unfortunately she had it last year.

Mandy has your friend had a post mortem done to find out what it was? The scream of a rabbit dying is the most heartbreaking and terrifying thing you will ever when mine had it last year non of them bleed from anywhere and were all fine until the day they died X

Phill said:
Mandy has your friend had a post mortem done to find out what it was? The scream of a rabbit dying is the most heartbreaking and terrifying thing you will ever when mine had it last year non of them bleed from anywhere and were all fine until the day they died X

She's having one done and said she'd call when she had the results through. May try her later to see what is happening. x

Back