• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora help!!! ****photo added****

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Have just taken a cross mini lop/Angora into the rescue! I have never had a n Angora before! this little Darling looks great until you pick him up! 'cause then you feel serious matting under his coat, how should he be?

TIA xx :wink:

Poor paddy has now been clipped as far as he can be, the rest will be done under sedation on Friday :(

DSCF3277.jpg

Re: Angora help!!!

hunnybun said:
Have just taken a cross mini lop/Angora into the rescue! I have never had a n Angora before! this little Darling looks great until you pick him up! 'cause then you feel serious matting under his coat, how should he be?

TIA xx :wink:

If the matting goes right down to the skin the only way you are going to sort it out is to shave it all off ;)

hunnybun said:
That is what I thought! will it be best done under sedation do you think?

Depends on the bunny but most bunnies will just sit there whilst you shave them. The last time I needed one shaved the vets let me go up there and use their equipment because the clippers I had werent powerful enough.

sgprescue said:
hunnybun said:
That is what I thought! will it be best done under sedation do you think?

Depends on the bunny but most bunnies will just sit there whilst you shave them. The last time I needed one shaved the vets let me go up there and use their equipment because the clippers I had werent powerful enough.

Thanks, I have dog clippers!! maybe a No1 will do it?? !!!! :shock:

True angoras have there baby coat plucked out and that makes the proper coat come through, this is done by hand.If not done like this the next coat is not right. Ive watched it done and its not painfull, but as yours is a cross then the coat is a mix so maybe shaving would be better. val

if its only a few smaller matts teaseing them apart with your fingers befor cutting of the reminants as close to the skin as possibal with a pair of sissors is the best option.

maxxev said:
if its only a few smaller matts teaseing them apart with your fingers befor cutting of the reminants as close to the skin as possibal with a pair of sissors is the best option.

No, it is massive lumps all over!!!

aawww poor baby.. glad he's found you so he can get his fur sorted out. Did you take some 'before' photos :wink:

I wouldn't use dog clippers! A buns skin isn't as strong as a dogs and will be nicked easily. My baby angora was clipped before I got him and was covered in nicks and the breeder used a blade specifically for angoras! Using scissors is what the angora farmers in China use (they produce the most angora wool in the world) so that must work best, use round tips ones so you don't nip, though it's always best to get a vet to do it if you're concerned.

he is at the vets now, being groomed professionally! I never took before pics!! that was silly!! will post after pics later on :D no matter how he look, I know he will feel a whole lot better :D :D :D

Back