• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bun isn't well at all

katie17uk

New Kit
Hi, im posting cause im really worried about my little bun. He is nearly 10 years old and is suffering from an abscess. I took him to the vets on friday and the vet put a needle in it to confirm this, but wasn't able to do anything else to treat it because general anaesthetic would be quite risky given his age. She prescribed baytril (0.5ml once per day) but since friday he hasn't been eating or pooing much, and ive noticed that his chin is really puffy (not sure if this is the abscess draining. He has been eating today (Mostly broccoli and dandilion leaves) and has had a little bit of a drink but i'm really worried as he is quite unresponsive and sluggish, and is no longer accepting food or water (as of about 6pm today). I have been syringing him some water but he is dribbling alot so I am unsure if it is getting into his system. I had previously read up about GI Statis so understand the importance of keeping the gut moving so have been massaging his gut etc and have heard some noises. As he lives in my room I am able to keep a close eye on him but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same, or could offer me some advice of how to help him til i take him to the vets in the morning? Any help would be so greatly appreciated as I am so worried. Thankyou.xxx

if he's not pooing or eating its probably best to get him seen by a vet asap. You could try giving him some pellets mashed up in warm water via a syringe if he wont eat to keep his guts moving.. belly massages is great!
If he is dribbling maybe its his teeth? Did they check those? Wheres the abcess?
I hope he is feeling better real soon

Is there anyway you can get him to a vet tonight?

I really think he needs to go urgently!

You say he's not eating on his own, you will need to syringe him food and water, what does he eat when he's well?

I don't think Baytril's going to be of any use in this case

How rabbit savvy is your vet?

I'm really sorry I don't know how to help you with this :( (I'm sure others on here will though :) ) Just try to tempt him to eat his fave foods and hopefully he'll take little bits. What time is he going to the vet in the morning?
I really hope he turns out ok, hugs to you both xx

our family don't have a car so we have always visited the vets down the road and have never had any problems. when he is well he is usually fed on pellets & hay, with some vegetables. he did previously have a problem with his teeth but he had an op to sort them out last year and we have been checking up.

Hi. I am sorry your elderly bun is poorly.Did your Vet give him any pain relief aswell as the antibiotics?
It may be that having been on antibiotics for 48 hours the abscess has 'pointed' ie all the pus has accumulated in one position and this may be causing pain. If a bun is in pain then they wont eat and their guts become sluggish.
I would advise you to try to contact a Vet tonight as at the very least I think your old man needs a dose of pain relief.
Please keep us posted and I hope that Bun will feel better soon.

Janex

thanks for all the replies, strangely the vet didn't give any pain relief. im going to look up if vet can come out to the house rather than to the surgery. i'll keep everyone updated though.

Im sorry your rabbit is ill, my experience with this is not good ive had a few rabbits with this and theve had an op but they died in the end. The trouble is that the pus can travel through the body and there bones so treatment is very hit and miss. If you are going to carry on treatment then he must have pain killers and a sample of the pus to see what antibiotics to use. sorry im not more helpfull.If the pain cannot be controlled then hes an old bunny and i think he might go down hill fast. These thigs are notoriusly hard to cure. I wish you the very best of luck with him. val

hes gone :cry: from my post he went really downhill and couldn't sit up straight. by the time we had gotten to the vets he was struggling to breathe. they put him on oxygen but said there was nothing they could do for him. we decided to put him to sleep, it was so sad, but at least hes not suffering anymore. thanks for all the replies.xxx

Oh no! I'm so so sorry to hear that :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
At least he had a very long and happy life with you, now he'll be having lots of fun at the bridge :)
Lots of hugs to you. Binky free bunny xx

That's so shocking to hear and it's so very sad. 10 years is a very long life, you should be proud that you and your bunny gives each other happiness for 10 long year. And it's very hard decision to make to put your bunny to sleep, if a rabbit can't sit up straight, that would means there is very little time left, so an end to his suffering is a tough call but a good call.

Back