• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Talking to toddlers about rabbits-I've been!

lou

Warren Scout
Just wondered if I could get some advice? I have agreed to take fudge to my sisters place of work tomorrow as they are having a pet week. My sister is a nursery nurse working with 2 1/2yrs to 5yr olds. I was unsure what and how much they would understand and whether it's even a good idea to take fudge, well, I can't really back out now. just thought those of you with more experience might be able to help? and some of you have rabbits and little un's, do they interact well?

At that age they will understand more than you would think :roll: Try talking to them about your rabbit's day, what they like to eat (and not!) and what they like to do etc. Young children love to pet animals, but don't realise their own strength sometimes, so perhaps allow them a tiny stroke but make sure you hold fudge and try not to let them all crowd round and scare Fudge!

Thanks, am concerned about them scaring her, but sarah's going to have a chat with them, and believe me they will do as they are told for her :shock: she might be my little sis but she even scares me :lol: :lol:

Yep, I would agree with Beany. You being a stranger, I bet they will be pretty good for you anyway and listen to what you say! :D

I've done this before, as long as you put things in ways they can understand they are usually really good. I'd talk to them about what you'd like them to do before showing them the bunny as you'll get their attention better.

We got them to sit in a circle and explainned they had to be really quiet as the bun didn't like loud noises and they had to sit still so they didn't scare him.

Then let the bun out in the middle and he just hopped around to investigate them all.

If Fudge isn't as brave or they're not as well behaved you could have her on your lap and make them que for a stroke.

They like visual aids so I'd take her food bowl and show them what she eats, and some hay that they can handle/smell.

Take some toys to, kids can relate to those and will like the idea she likes to play to.

They might like to see pictures of where she lives if you have some.

Ask them what vegetables they eat and tell them which of those she likes. Then ask them about their other favourites foods and explain that rabbits can't eat pizza or macdonalds, because they don't eat meat.

Compare the doctors to the vets and see if any have had vaccinations and explain she has to have them too.

As long as you put things into context they understand they'll pick up lots. Bet you get some fun questions too :D

Wow, Tamsin's an expert at this, eh? :D I haven't dared to take mine into work - the kids would probably eat them alive :shock: I work with younger children though, and live too far away to be able to take the buns home straight after :?

Cheers Tamsin. I was just thinking about taking photos of her hutch etc, that would be better than describing it. I will definately get together her toys, hay, and some other food for them to see, that will be much more interesting for them (hopefully) than just taking fudge! and hopefully they will learn quite a bit. Thanks for the tips :D

well to my surprise it went really, really well. i can't believe how well fudge behaved especially as we were outside. My sister made them come over in groups of four or five, they all stroked fudge apart from two, who were scared. my sister asked them put their hand on hers so they thought they were stroking her, that was the younger ones, but most just keep wanting to stroke her on their own. They also wanted to feed her and were getting quite upset when she wouldn't take food from them, but it's cuz she wasn't settled and it was a new place to explore, although she had a really good munch on the grass! All of the children were well behaved too. I took her her toys and I think they liked them,because similar to what they had as babies, rattles etc.... but generally they were all excited and it took ages for them to say goodbye as they wanted extra strokes, just her back , I held and stroked her head, i would of hated her to of nipped one of them, even if it was just out of panic. i made my mum sit with her on her lap on the way home in the car and she was so good, trying to see out of the window :lol:

WELL DONE .
I CHILDMIND AND RESCUE AND ITS SURPRISING HOW YOUNG CHILDREN CAN UNDERSTAND ABOUT ANIMALS IF THEY ARE TAUGHT PROPERLY . :wink:

My nieces & nephews have been brought up with me having rabbits and my nephew actually gave one of his friends mum advice, he's only 7. They had had an unexpected littler and she was panicing and my nephew said you mustn't touch the babies or mummy might kill them and rub your hands in the hutch before you go and have a look. I was really proud of him as it proves just how much they do take in.

Back