• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried Rabbit..

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
Hey peeps,

Go glad to be back and missed you all, i have a few questions for you..

Firstly when i got Chompy at 8 weeks old he was relaxed and did not mind being picked up, then one day i picked him up and he was having so much fun in the run that he jumped out of my arms and bashed his nose on my wooden floor..

Blood was pouring out and i freaked out, started crying and it was so so bad. Anyway he was taken to the vets stright away and i have had him for 5 months now and all he has is a little squeak when he breathes.

After this he HATES being picked up so i have to get in my dressing down so im not ripped to shreads!!

So basically how do i calm him down and also he has been getting agitated, i dont know if that is the weather or it is his time to have the BIG operation??? he is 6 months old..

Please help, sending my love too you all
Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hes old enough now to be castrated. :D . The more you pick up a rabbit the better they will be, its what they get used to. The more free running they have the more they dont want to be handled. I would put a lot more work into getting him used to being handled it makes life so much easier. val :D

It takes a lot of work to change a nervous bunny into a calm cuddly bunny - some never get used to being picked up. Try for now sitting on the floor, legs pulled up and picking your bunny and putting him inbetween your legs and body - he should feel safe as all four feet will still be on solid ground so to speak. Its also easy to cuddle them. If he wants to jump off you let him. Give him food when he is sat there so he is associating this action with something nice. This will all be easier when he is neutered.

I dont really pick mine up any more, they dont really like it.
I just put some food in a pet carrier open up there run or hutch and they just pop straight in, then i shut the door..............works everytime :wink:
Then i just put them on the floor and they hop out, less stressfull for us both :D if i want to give them a kiss and a cuddle i just lay down next to them! :D

Back