• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giant Breed Company?

cute_fuzzies

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've heard that giant/large breed bunnies such as French lops are quite aggressive towards each other and shouldn't be kept together?

I know that 'normal' bunnies are better off with bunny friendship, but I don't know much about giants. Is it true that they should be kept alone?

Thanks. :)

nope. giants like company as much as the next rabbit. though thair size means they need a LOT more space :lol:

I cant say I have heard of that :?
I suspect the problem is more to do with providing large enough accomodation to house two or more Giant bunnies. If they are housed in too cramped conditions then I am sure they would get grumpy. But with LOTS of space then I cant see why they should not be happy within a 'relationship' so to speak!!
:D :D

Janex

your best bet would be to get a shed or playhouse then you could have two living in there together :D

Just out of interrest who told you that?, its wrong but id love to know who, was it a so called rabbit person or a breeder?. val

a rabbit is a rabbit no matter what breed you have they all have their own personalities. Some are more social than others but few like to be alone.

i have two pairs of giants that live together with no problems, but would say the NEED space :shock: one of my pairs were free range in my house but now have a 8 x 6 shed which is attached to a preminant run of 10 x 6 x 5 foot run and the other liuves in that size run with a five foot hutch to sit ON!/in and under! :lol: :lol:

a rabbit is a rabbit no matter what breed you have they all have their own personalities. Some are more social than others but few like to be alone.

Yeh, that's what I thought! I didn't think it mattered what breed they were!

Just out of interrest who told you that?, its wrong but id love to know who, was it a so called rabbit person or a breeder?. val

It was a friend who told me - but they don't keep rabbits :lol:

I was talking bunnies to them, and got onto the topic of giants (cos I think they are beeeeeeeeeautiful :) ) and they told me that you can only keep them singly due to aggression! Seeing as they've not kept giants themself, they may have heard it from a pet shop or somewhere else, who knows?

But at least I know better now :)

My two French lops are the most gentle of creatures. Considering their start in life in a ferret hutch for the first year, they are devoted to each other and so gorgeous. They need huge amounts of space though.

Back