• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neutering an older buck ( advice please!)

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya!
some of you will know I have recently adopted an older boy. He is around 5 or 6 and quite small. I was wondering if anyone else has neutered an older boy?
I had my old bun Bilbo done when he was over 6, but he was a big strong boy and I think that makes a difference.
I am scared to death of having my new bun done, but it's essential for so many reasons ( including ww3 breaking out with my bonded pair :cry: )
I really want to give him a better life. He is used to being around other bunnies so he will have to be neauterd so he can live with more bunnies again. Also his " boy smell," " is causing aggression between my former loved up bunsters :cry: :cry: I'm hoping ( maybe foolishly) that once he has been done peace will be restored between Storm and Gypsy and maybe he can even live with them.

Sorry Rainbow, only just seen this!!
How Rabbit savvy is your Vet?
If you want I will ask Christabel her opinion on neutering an older Buck.
I think if your boy is quite skinny it might be best to hold off for a mo'
Also, I am wondering if a prophylactic pre-op course of Septrin (antibiotic) might be a good idea as the little chap could have a latent Pasteurella infection in his respiratory tract.
I know Christabel tends to favour using just Isofluarane (Anaesthetic Gas) for old or sickly Buns if at all possible. I will be speaking with her tomorrow so can run the scenario by her.
I am sure that peace will return to your Bunny family!!

Janex

With older rabbits the vet can do a blood test first to check his organs function. If they're not working as well then that can effect the aneathetic.

Tam

Thanks Jane!
as you can imagine I am sooooooo scared so any advice will be welcome right now!.
My old vet was quite rabit savy, but I'm not sure if she's still there as she sold her practice :? ( how inconsiderate of her! :lol: )
It's weird but I'm sure little bun has put on weight in 2 days :shock: maybe by next week he'l be ok. He just seems so tiny! but then he would next to storm :shock:
what sort of questions should I ask the vet? I will be quizzing him/her believe me!!. My last vet was great! she re-assured me and put me at ease telling me she could neuter a bun in her sleep she does it so many times!. I was worried enough about Storm having the op, but my new little chap! :shock: GULP!! :shock:
I would hate to loose him, he's just such a sweet little thing, so friendly and cute.

Yes, as Tamsin suggests a blood profile will show how his Kidneys are working (aswell as other bits and bobs!!). I think I would def' hold off for a week if possible as he has only just moved in and maybe a bit of time to settle down might be a good idea.
Although with all the argy-bunny-bargy going on it might not be possible!!
Janex

The sooner the better with ww3 going on :shock: I've never seen anything like it before in my whole life!!! :shock: :shock:
At the earliest it will be next thursday, but I will talk to my vet tomorrow ( fingers crossed it will be the one I'm used to!)
little bun does seem very settled at the moment and was not fased at all by the long journey or being brought to the mad house! :shock: it's me who's freaking out and worrying my self stupid :?
He's a very good little eater :D he's eating like he's never seen food before in his life :shock:
I will get the vet to give him a pre op check up to see what she thinks.
OMG this is such a worry!

Back