• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adult or baby?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I've been wanting to get Molly a friend for a while and i've been looking on rabbit rehome. I was due to go look at a doe today but she's just had babies. The woman at the rescue said to think about the babies cos a baby might be better.

Is this the case, should I get a baby bun rather than an adult? If this is the case my neighbours lionhead cross has had babies about three weeks ago and she's worried about rehoming them, I said I couldn't have one because of them being babies.

What do you think is best?

I'd go for an adult. With babies you have to go through the whole teenage hormones things which can put a strain on the bond. An adult will also be already neutered. Is Molly a boy or a girl? If Molly's a girl than a neutered male would be the best match :)

Tam

It would be very unwise to try to bond a baby with an adult. Chances are that your doe would attack it. Even if its a boy its not going to smell like a boy untill its matured a bit. You would have to keep them apart untill the baby was older. Better to go for a ready castrated male. val

Is Molly neutered?..if not best to get him done first.....then go for a speyed female..a rescue near you may offer a bonding service

ADULT! baby buns are cute but I like to know what personality a rabbit has. That said I then adopted the TERRIFIED one :roll: :roll:

Always a bonus to avoid the terrible teens. Also the bonding will be easier as everyone has said.

Just don't look at babies! They are too cute to resist!

Babies are cute but grow up quickly so within weeks you are going to have an adult looking bun anyway - one with teenage terror hormones!!! All that goes through teenage bunnies minds is DESTROY DESTROY CAUSE TROUBLE DESTROY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I was planning to have Molly neutered (in a few days actually, meep) and get an adult female rabbit, but i'm a bit out in the sticks here, and I want a small girly so I'm a bit limited. I was doing well resisting the baby buns. :lol:

If the rescue hadn't suggested adopting a baby I wouldn't have thought about it too much. Molly never went through the terrible teens really, seems I've been very lucky. :p

Deelove said:
I was planning to have Molly neutered (in a few days actually, meep) and get an adult female rabbit, but i'm a bit out in the sticks here, and I want a small girly so I'm a bit limited. I was doing well resisting the baby buns. :lol:

If the rescue hadn't suggested adopting a baby I wouldn't have thought about it too much. Molly never went through the terrible teens really, seems I've been very lucky. :p

Well if you do get a baby, remember you won't know how big they'll get.

Also, Molly needs to wait 6 weeks after neuter until he is introduced to another bun unless she's already spayed.
Why not get him neutered, then let him pick his own girlfriend from a Rescue>

I would have preferred to do that, but I'm in Cumbria and don't drive so between seeing if they get on and home visits and actually getting the rabbit it's not very practical, there's one rescue near me but as I've said the doe who was suitable has had babies and the woman recommended I consider adopting one of the babies instead.

If I can see both of the parents would that give me some idea of the bunny size? I am concerned about a girl going through the hormonal period but Molly seems like he would benefit from having a companion (cos he loves my dog :p )and I'll be moving in a few months so I want time for the new rabbit to settle in so I'd like to adopt quite soon.

Back