• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal Welfare Bill Petition

mtoyah

Warren Scout
Please sign below here if you think the Bill should be changed to be more realistic for Rescue Centres to cope with....

I fully support the idea of bigger hutches but I think as long as the hutch is a decent size and the rabbits have access to exercise space for all or most of the day this should be considered as part of the hutch size...

Wouldn't it be an idea to find out exactly what the bill was proposing before protesting against it. The bill itself doesn't mention anything about hutch sizes... I think that will be in the guidence (possibly produced by the rspca)?

Jill, do you know who produced the guidance? Is it the rspca? I've heard about some drafts they've produced relating to rabbits which is where the sizes being quoted are from I think but I haven't seen anything in writing myself.

I think its good that people are thinking ahead, especially people who won't be effected by the bill. :D

They should be aware of what 'good' rescues think/feel/need before even putting it together. We could of even helped:D

I went to a meeting with the pet care trust a few weeks ago regarding the animal welfare bill. The sizes and guidelines havent actually been decided yet. The RSPCA have said what they would like it to be but unless DEFRA decide that the RSPCA should police the animal welfare bill then that wont apply anyway. The sizes that the RSPCA have come up with would be unrealistic from a commercial/rescue point of view, especially as most of their own centres wouldnt come up to scratch. So far DEFRA have only brought out draft guidelines for cats which is apparantly 17 pages long :shock: . There is no intention of the guidelines being passed on to pet shops/breeders/rescues to hand out. One of the points I raised was if the guidlines are not being given out when an animal is brought/adopted how are people supposed to know what they must do to comply with the welfare bill? The PCT were going to take that up with DEFRA. At the moment the only thing rescues should be concerned about is raising the money to pay for annual licenses to run a rescue.

I think it's good to be prepared!!

Even though nothing specific is set yet I think it's a good idea to have a plan of action in case a situation arises where it will have a detrimental effect on rescues etc.

It's not that I am opposed to the Bill but I think the people it affects should be consulted...get their input and see if a happy solution can be found!!

This thread was more of a back up plan..many rescues are worried as they can see the potential effects and usually guidance is heavily relied upon and followed when it comes to things like this.

My intention is not to upset anyone but to give the recues an option to do something in case it should be necessary to help. If anyone disagress I apologise

I might be for it yet!

I kind of thought a licence might be a good idea, cos pets would be kept as they should be kept. - I'd find it hard not to agree to that. But I could see how a mass, instant change would lead to buns being pts - so obviously not pro that :?

Does anyone know what they are proposing yet?

Is there a website or sommat?

Thanks Cheryl :D Do you know how much the licence is? Also how does it effect foster carers? Will they need licences to?

Tamsin said:
Thanks Cheryl :D Do you know how much the licence is? Also how does it effect foster carers? Will they need licences to?

As far as I am aware the licence fee still hasnt been decided. I think the potential cost of that may close many rescues as it will be an annual fee. Im not sure about the foster carers, I didnt think to ask :?

Hi

Just 2 questions (apologies if anyone has answered these!)

1- Why should rescues have to pay for a licence, why can't we be inspected and if ok-then given a licence and if not ok, then only given a licence until improvements have been made?

2- Where is the licence money going? (i guess it will be to our government, or cheries new hair style!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Just sat cuddling buns last night and wondered this, why should we have to pay to look after animals that other people have dumped or don't want anymore-surely all the good we are doing should be rewarded(like funding!) not punished, by spending money on a licence instead of neutering and vacs?!

Maybe i am being thick- i just don't get it!

I think it would be a good idea if people buying a new pet had to pay an annual licence fee and if this money went towards the upkeep of rescues etc which should be inspected as Katie said.

With any luck this would prevent loads of animals being pts as it would not affect existing pets only new ones.

This could also be used to encourage rescuing animals coz a reduced first-year licence fee could be given to people who have had a homecheck etc :p

Thats a good idea, i know that it would make people think if they had to pay for a licence for getting a bunny on impulse!

I just think that rescues shouldn't have to pay, i don't mind anyone coming round to inspect and making sure that we are doing right by the animals i have already offered this to the RSPCA. But why should we pay for the right to rescue.

What are everyones thoughts on breeders-

I don't think rescues should have to pay for a license-be inspected is fine
but what about breeders-should they pay or just inspected?

Hiya, some excellent points have been raised in this thread :)
I agree that Rescues and Sanctuaries should be exempt for a licence, as they are providing a service to the general public (ie by virtue of rescuing).
Best wishes

Adele said:
Hiya, some excellent points have been raised in this thread :)
I agree that Rescues and Sanctuaries should be exempt for a licence, as they are providing a service to the general public (ie by virtue of rescuing).
Best wishes

That wouldn't work though, because everyone will call themselves a Rescues or a Sanctuary.

Back