• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pre-bonding/neutering... help!

xEMMAx

Warren Veteran
Ok, I really want to bond Clio and Jasper, but I need a bit of help :? The last time I tried to bond rabbits I was about 10 years old and ended up with lots of babies :oops:

I've read loads of different things about bonding. Is a a good idea to swap the hutches around so that Clio is in Jaspers hutch, and Jasper in Clios so they can get used to each others scent? And if so how long should they be in 'the wrong hutch'? They've met each other through the wire on their runs but I'm still a bit nervous about putting them together incase all hell breaks loose! :oops:

Another thing... neutering. Jasper is neutered. I'm thinking about getting Clio speyed but am getting slightly put off by the thought she might not come round afterwards :? She's 2 years old now and her previous owners have already made her have 3 litters :shock: :shock: I won't be letting her have anymore babies and hopefully she'll be with Jasper forever :D Will it make a big difference if I do get her speyed? Is it worth doing now she's 2 years old? (I've heard it's better to do it on younger buns)

I hope you can help me! :oops: :mrgreen:

Hi there, sounds like you are doing great so far. Getting them used to each others smells is a good step. There is a post in this section by sgprescue that has some good advice on.
Personally id get her spayed. I had my Nala spayed at over 2yrs old and she was fine. It helps them be less territorial and she might get phantom pregnancies if she is used to having babies, it also reduces the risk of them getting uterine cancer too.

Thank you :D
I did read that, it helped quite a bit!
Ahh ok then. I'll probably get it done then. I didn't know the effects of having it done on an older bun, I'm glad someone else has had it done :D I'm just getting really paranoid/worried about it :? :oops:

alot of rescues are spayed at quite an older age.. it might be worth asking your local rescue what vets they use so that you know they are rabbit savvy vets and used to doing lots of spays if you dont have a rabbit savvy vet at the mo :wink: Mine are great but i guess Norwich is a bit far :?

Ok, thanks :D
The vet I'm using at the moment seem to be pretty good with rabbits... I'll ask them about getting Clio done when she goes in for her VHD jab next Monday. The rescue I adopted Jasper from is an hours drive away... and I think they're the closest rescue, so that's too far away too :roll:

It's the RSPCA rescue in Dunstable. I live in a town called St Neots, about 30/40 minutes away from Cambridge. I always say I live near Cambridge because it's in Cambridgeshire and nobody's ever heard of St Neots :lol:

xEMMAx said:
It's the RSPCA rescue in Dunstable. I live in a town called St Neots, about 30/40 minutes away from Cambridge. I always say I live near Cambridge because it's in Cambridgeshire and nobody's ever heard of St Neots :lol:

I have!! I grew up in Ramsey near Huntingdon and my sisters husband lived in St Neots x

mandy said:
xEMMAx said:

I have!! I grew up in Ramsey near Huntingdon and my sisters husband lived in St Neots x

Ohh yay, someone knows it! :lol: :lol:

xEMMAx said:
mandy said:
xEMMAx said:

:lol: I always just say East Anglia when talking about Ramsey, but funnily enough someone else on here grew up there too :lol: :D

I drove past St. Neots last sunday on my way to milton keynes! Wouldnt have known about it before then tho :wink:

mandy said:
xEMMAx said:
mandy said:
xEMMAx said:

:lol: I always just say East Anglia when talking about Ramsey, but funnily enough someone else on here grew up there too :lol: :D

:lol: Good idea, I'll change my location to East Anglia, sounds better :lol:
That's cool :D

Back