• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Friend for Binky.

AprilShower

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone.
I mentioned a couple of months ago that I wanted to get a bunny friend for Binky and that I'd hopefully have fulfilled my wish by August. Well, August is getting nearer now and I haven't thought much about it since. I have a few problems and a few questions about the whole thing.
Well, first of all, I can't rescue a rabbit because there are no rabbit
rescues near me and I don't know very little about them. So if I was to buy from a pet shop, would it really be the worst thing?
Second of all, what exactly do I do if Binky and new bunny don't get along? I know there's a good chance that they will but just in case they don't, what should I do?
Third of all, I'd be really scared about the whole neuturing operation. I know it isn't something to be so worried about but I don't know much about it and Binky means everything to me. Should I be worried about it or will it all be okay?
Those are the things that are worrying me.

Now I have just a few questions.

I've read before that Binky should be at least 6 weeks neutured before introducing new bunny to him. I'd just like this to be confirmed before I make a decision on a new bunny. So is six weeks correct?

Now, Binky is two years old. Is still okay for him to be neutured?

How big should a hutch be for it to occupy two bunnies?

Is it likely that a 2 year old buck and perhaps a baby doe would get along?

How old does new bunny have to be before getting neutured?

That's all that's bothering me now, If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Hiya! usually it's easier to introduce a female to a male as males seem less territorial. Yes six weeks is about right just to make sure hormone levels have dropped and all the sperm has gone.
It is fine to have binky neutered at 2, I had a bunny done at over 6 years old and he still recoverd well and had no complications at all. It's a much easier op than a spay so he should be fine :D
If there are no rabbit rescues near you maybe a bunny run could be arranged if you see a bunny you like on rabbit rehome? it's just an idea to consider first before buying a pet shop bun. also a rescue rabbit is more likely to already be spayed so you won't have the worry of the op to consider and no behaviour change when the hormones kick in.
If you intoduce slowly things should work out fine :D it's easier to bond pairs than any other numbers ( as I'm finding out now I have a 3rd and all hell is breaking loose!! :shock: :shock: but that's a different story)
It is possible that a 2 year old neutered buck and baby doe will get on as I've done this before. But the thing you have to consider is that when the doe comes of age and the hormones kick in she may change towards Binky, maybe chase or fight or pull out fur to make nests ( gypsy did this to old bun bilbo) of course it all calms down after the spay, but it can be stressfull to both bunnies when it happens.
I guess the biggest hutch and run you can find or fit in your garden would be the best for 2 bunnies.
and please try not to worry too much about the neuter. 2 is not old at all. If Binky is fit, strong and healthy he should be fine. I know what a worry it is to put your baby under any kind of op, I cried when I dropped Storm off for his op, but he was fine and running around the same night :shock: boys recover really quickly from their op.
hope this helps a little :D

Well, I think I've already covered a lot of this already (Sorry for harrassing you though :oops: ).

To start off with, Yes Binky is fine to be neutered at 2 years old. You mention that he is a little protective over his space, which is completely natural, but I believe this would settle down quite a lot once he was neutered. :thumb:.

Even if there were no bun rescues near you, Do try and look on message boards in the vets, and ask the receptionist, and also in pet shops, Lots of people put unwanted litters and bunnies up in those places. If not, I'd try and find a responsible, good breeder. Anything rather than a pet shop, but at the end of the day, the decision is completely up to you.

If I was you, and was wary about whether Binky would take to another bun, then I do think i'd go for a baby girl. Often, Rabbits baby the new bun, and take them under their wing.

Hope this helps, Cant remember any other questions. :oops: .

Becki xx

We're going through exactly the same thing as you! Benny is 2 and he was recently castrated so he could have a girlfriend, and his girlfriend will be the lovely Domino :D She's a baby bunny, so we're in the same spot as you. We don't think there will be a problem at all, particularly because Benny is such a friendly and loving boy. He came through his castration with no problems at all.

Good luck! :D

AMETHYST

Jack was fine after his op - came home jumped out his carrier and went straight over to his food bowl for a feed although was a bit quiet during the day! He was running about by the evening though - can't blame him for being quiet though - he's just lost two very important (to him :wink: ) balls!!!!

Best to get an adult bunny who has been spayed. Try her out with Binky and if they don't get on make sure you can take her back and retry with a different bun. Shame there is no rescue near you as its best to try on neutral territory with someone who knows what they are doing - if it wasn't for the owners of the rescue I went to Milly would have been back there in a shot so worried was I they were not getting on! They were very calm and matter of fact about the whole thing and they were right cos I have two loved up buns now!

Rabbit Rescues are often not well known to the general public, so perhaps ask your vet whether he knows of someone running a rescue in the area. Have you also checked the Rabbit Rehome rescue list as well as if there are any bunnies in your area looking for a home?
Sometimes you can also adopt from a rescue further away and then a transport run can be organised if it is too far for you.

Vera

LurcherGirl said:
Rabbit Rescues are often not well known to the general public, so perhaps ask your vet whether he knows of someone running a rescue in the area. Have you also checked the Rabbit Rehome rescue list as well as if there are any bunnies in your area looking for a home?
Sometimes you can also adopt from a rescue further away and then a transport run can be organised if it is too far for you.

Vera

The problem is, Rabbit Rescues aren't as easy to find when you live in the middle of Ireland. I'll see if I can get a bit of information from a vet.

I'm having the same problem finding rescues and if I do finding ones that have appropriate rabbits, I'm looking at breeders at the mo cos I've found some have their exbreeders going, not having much luck finding ones near me though either.

Back