• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet Bottom what can be causing it???

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Bracken has a wet bottom it started on Thurs and Mary who was looking after him spoke to Delia at Bobtails and have been giving him baytril daily.

But he still has a wet bottom, i have washed it and applied cream to the reddish area. But what could be causing it?

He`s good in himself eating, drinking and looking loads better than before he went.

Could be a symptom of lots of things.... bladder infection, bladder stones, EC, a mobility prob (e.g. being over weight). It really needs a vet to do more investigation.

The red area is probably urine scold. Use a damp clothes to clean him, then dry him off and apply vasiline or sudecream to the red area, both will protect the skin from the urine. That's a side effect of having the urine soak the fur, still need to get to the root cause of it :)

Tam

agreeing with Tamsin here...this needs a chechup :?

has he developed the habbit of sitting in his litter box after using it? (possibal cause?)
is he drinking more?
does he strain to pass anything or appear to be in pain?

Hey :)
My bun Barney has the same problem - it started last year where he would have a wet bottom. Bascially got in a right state, so sore, had to have him shaved 3 x which was sooo expensive. We got some special cream which we always applied after he had his shower with this special shampoo. Anyway... 2 months ago it cleared up so I was really happy,however it has started up again :( Im really worried as we cant use rearguard until he clears up. Not sure what is causing, vet doesnt know and says hes not overweight.
I would defiently get him to the vet asap to get some cream, if you apply it every evening it gets rid of the nasty sore urine burns.

Back