• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting Bunny

mtoyah

Warren Scout
Twix has started biting me when he's being held or when sitting on my lap :? .....he doesn't do it all the time but he does it quite often. He always seems to stress and they're not just nips because if i didn't have clothing in the way he's break the skin easily.

I think it's his way of saying put me down I don't like this but how can I get him to stop?

When he was at the rescue centre he never bit anyone, he's only done it since he came to mine. I think he's obviously had a traumatic experience with his first owners, but how can I get him to trust me and not bite?!!! It hurts :(

Is he neutered?

Some buns nip just as a way of saying "move!!" or "put me down!". Cracker went through a nipping phase. If you give a little screech, he will know he has hurt you.

I got bitten loads last night cos my buns & gerbil had a fright, but normally they're lovely!!! (Gonna try & make up with em tonight - ie bribe them with food)

you might need to take him to the vets to check that he is not in pain/ feeling ill.

Otherwise, perhaps he is like many bunnies and hates being picked up- if you need to take him out to move him to his run etc it might be worth using a cat carrier.
To gain his trust get him to eat from yuor hand and stroke him in the hutch etc

Marly bites me hard wehen I attempt to groom him, he's ripped countless tops, when you find out let me know.

Lots of rabbits don't like to be held. The best thing to do is to respect his wishes, and only pick him up to do health checks. If you hve to move him you can use a carrier.

He may well be willing to be friendly on his terms. Not many rabbits can resist hopping onto a human if they come down to their level, particualrly if he is confident that you won't pick him up. Win his heart by just offering him nose rubs and healthy treats and you will have better relationship. Rabbits in general are not cuddly animals, although some are exceptions.

oscar gets jealous if biffykins gets attention even if hes getting a nose rub at same time..and he nips damned hard..ask my 21 yr old daughter! hes the first rabbit weve ever had that nips so much..im afraid its just part of bunny language and he is a particularly possessesive and bossy little man!
Biffykins on the other hand just bifs you with her nose real hard when shes had enough of grooming ear checking etc. She does however nibble my daughters tops when shes being groomed on her lap..solution? Place her up on the armhair settee and either sit beside her and grom her or groom her whilst sat on floor next to chair.
Bunnies are prey animals and do not feel safe picked up..its what foxes and hawks do after all! I had a cat like that she was lovley but terrified of heights..long sighted and scared of everything even being picked up and held on laps..so we didnt puch it just let her find her own way and she used to cuddle up next to you on the chair settee flor or bed..Biffykins our rescue doe is the same. Fact she reminds me so much of my poor dear departed Boo..her ways are very similar..
but even oscar prefers to snuggle up when hes a mind to..although sometimes he loves a hug on my daughters lap..but no one elses.

I wonder if he's also doing it because he objects to all the fuss and attention- as rescues have so many animals it would be difficult for them to give each rabbit as much attention as when they go to their new homes- maybe its just a bit of a an upset to him to be handled so much if he's not used to it.

I say just take things slowly.

Thanks for all the advice!!

I try to pick him up as little as possible but he has massive knots in his fur that I want to comb out around his bum!!

He's not that bad but will have mad moments when he decides to bit, even if I'm not actually holding him and he's just on my lap on the floor where he got onto himself.

He is neutered, but it was only done 2 weeks ago....oh my I hope he stops soon as he wont get out of the hutch on his own as he's a little scardyt cat that won't hop onto or off anything!!

Jack nips me occasionally if he doesn't get his own way - spoilt brat! It usually involves him climbing all over me to get at what I am eating and if I don't give him some he climbs off me, bites my leg and then sits there looking at me as if to say "serves you right for not giving in!".

If you find a way to stop this behaviour let me know - I don't think Jack will ever stop doing it until I start being stricter and I don't think that will ever happen! He's too lovely!!

Back