• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colby, baby bun Has Myxi - Shes gone.

Ive had to drop colby off at the vets today
she has, what we whought was an eye infection, i went out at 8am this morning and her eyes look really sore, i got her out to check her over etc and her whole body looks a bit "puffy" and swolen, even her "bits" are swollen,
has anyone had any experience of this or any idea what it is? i had to go in early and drop her off at the vets as i have a job interview to go to so wont hear back till later :? fingers crossed its nothing too serious :(

OMG!

Is she near any other buns? (vaccinated or not?)

When I took a wild rabbit to vets (after running it over), It was pts sleep cos in late stages of myxi, & he advised me to burn my clothes & wash in disinfectant.

Sounds like myxi! If the bunnies she was near yesterday are not vaccinated, get them vaccinated NOW IMMEDIATELY!!!

I had a baby bunny with myxi that was in the same room as all my other bunnies for four days until the disease was noticed and diagnosed. Eventhough at that moment in time, we weren't 100% sure yet, that it was myxi (as in your case), all my other bunnies got vaccinated first thing the very next day and thank god didn't catch it! So it is not automatically a death sentence, but you must act fast!

Vera

PS. My baby bunny didn't survive it though... :cry:

my own buns are vacc'd and domino is vacc'd,
daley and colby were due to be vacc's on monday as they had an offer of a home, so daley will now need to be vacc'd asap, ill take him in after dinner to get that done.
Panicing now :( just about to go out and clean all the hutches and runs as best i can :(
think i might just cancel my job interview now and take daley to be vacc's now

Humbug said:
my own buns are vacc'd and domino is vacc'd,
daley and colby were due to be vacc's on monday as they had an offer of a home, so daley will now need to be vacc'd asap, ill take him in after dinner to get that done.
Panicing now :( just about to go out and clean all the hutches and runs as best i can :(
think i might just cancel my job interview now and take daley to be vacc's now

soory to hear about colby, you need to get a strong disinfectant like virkon and srubb the place down :cry: so sorry!

Myxi is transferred mainly by rabbit fleas, also by other stinging insects, very rarely by rabbit-rabbit contact. So there is hope that Daley is still fine.

Despite the only small chance of transferring myxi via direct contact, I would still change all clothes that you wore when handling Colby, just to be on the safe side.

You might want to use a flea product on your other rabbits to prevent further spreading.

Vera

Re: Colby, baby bun at the vets

Humbug said:
Ive had to drop colby off at the vets today
she has, what we whought was an eye infection, i went out at 8am this morning and her eyes look really sore, i got her out to check her over etc and her whole body looks a bit "puffy" and swolen, even her "bits" are swollen,
has anyone had any experience of this or any idea what it is? i had to go in early and drop her off at the vets as i have a job interview to go to so wont hear back till later :? fingers crossed its nothing too serious :(

has she had a the myxi vaccination?

OMG Nicki I have only just seen this :cry:
Do get Daley Vaccinated TODAY.
If your other 2 were done 6 or more months ago get then re-vaccinated TODAY too.
Get some flea treatment for ALL animals in the household and put fly netting over the hutches and runs.
I wish I could offer optimism but if it is Myxomatosis and the Colby wasnt vaccinated then the prognosis is grave.
I am so sorry :cry: :cry:

Janex

This is a classic sign of Myxi :( :( Swollen eyes and bits :( :( If she has been vaccinated then she may stand a chance with nursing - if she hasn't then the outlook is very poor :( :(
Have all your other buns been vaccinated?
I truly hope that she comes through this alright - I am sending positive vibes to her and the others - xxxx

as i said in the other post, she was not vaccinated, hers was due on monday as was daleys, they both had a home offer so they were booked in to have theirs done together on monday,
domino had hers yesterday my 2 had theirs a few months ago so i think they should be ok.

have been to the vet, daley is now vacc'd
looks like it more than likely myxi what colby has :( just have to keep my fingers crossed that she makes it

Humbug said:
have been to the vet, daley is now vacc'd
looks like it more than likely myxi what colby has :( just have to keep my fingers crossed that she makes it

:cry: :cry:
At times like this I wish I 'believed' then I'd say a few prayers.
But I will be thinking of you and Colby and hoping with all my heart that she can survive.

Janex

Back