• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with handling new bunnies

rabbitpoop

Young Bun
I have two 3 month olds. One of them doesnt mind being stroked and the other one runs way as soon as you go near, neither of them like being picked up. I'm aware of how to do it properly but am worried it will be too late for them as they get older. Does anyone have tips on how to get the bunnies comfortable with being handled? Many thanks[/img][/code]

Most bunnies really don't like to be picked up. They're ground-dwellers by nature and the only time they'd be "picked up" in the wild is if they were about to be killed and eaten, so you can see why it'd be stressful! :D Having said this , it's a good idea (if you can) to get your bunnies acquainted with being handled so you can check their behinds in summer for flystrike, handle them at the vets etc.

The best way to do this is on their terms. The fact that one is ok with a fuss is a great start and will also help the other one gain confidence with you. Firstly, try to tempt the other one with some tasty treats. Perhaps lay some tiny pieces of veg out in a line starting at the cage and ending at your feet. Don't touch the bunny at this stage, just let them get used to wandering around your feet and being near you. Once they're used to this, you can try gently stroking their heads so they're used to touch. Keep taking it in teeny tiny stages until you're picking them up just a little way, perhaps whilst you're kneeling down to pop them onto your lap for a fuss and grooming session. Keep it at just that unless you really need to pick them up a long way, as that will almost always spook them. If at any stage the bunny gets freaked out or doesn't like what's going on, gently stop what you're doing and go back to the previous stage for a little bit.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions just ask away, that's what we're all here for!

AMETHYST

thanks, i only really want to pop them on my lap and stroke them rather thank pick them up and annoy them but i know i just have to be patient! Thank for help, i shall try and tempt them with some vege treats very soon!

No problem. :) Good luck! I'm sure they'll come around. I suppose, looking at it from the bunny's point of view, you'd kind of want to gradually build trust with something 15 times the size of you! :lol:

AMETHYST

It's never really too late, just go slowly with it. I have the world's wussiest rabbit I've just taken in, he's 3 months too and such a baba! But we're taking it slowly and he is definately improving!

Back