• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

thumpers date ...not good

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Well i felt sorry for my Grumpy thumper all alone . After fighting his ear infection for 3 months and recovering at 8 yrs old i thought he deserved a friend to live out his remaining time in comfort . :?

ohhh what have i done . :shock: :shock:

got him a girlie friend and shes not being nice to him at all . no humping and not outright nonstop aggression ....but she s taken huge lumps of fur off him and grazed his back with her teeth in three places as big as a 50p .

poor thumper was looking at me as if to say help me mummy get her off so ive had to split them . :cry:

weve had her since weekend and have had them with wire between during daytime since but the last few hours together have not worked .

my poor poor boy . he looks so sad . :cry: :cry: :cry:

dont think i dare put them back together . vet said stress could make his ear infection flare up again .. just dont know if its worth the risk .

help , what do you think .

Could you not go a bit slower and swap them over each night? They may just need a bit of time longer, just seeing and smelling each other but without being able to touch each other. :D

Any other bun it realy wouldnt bother me half as much .
but my poor thumper is such a wuss . hes soooo easily bullied , which is why his last pairing broke down after 2 years . ( she made him realy unhappy)

He is so soft and gentle and just never ever fights back . i just wish i could find a girlie like him :cry:

i realy realy wish wed tried georgia with him , she was just the same as him but it never occured to me at the time as she was a fair bit younger .
STUPID ME :evil:

Could you not go a bit slower and swap them over each night? They may just need a bit of time longer, just seeing and smelling each other but without being able to touch each other.

i realy dont know if i dare risk them together again . as i say any other bun i would . but my old boy ...... :cry:

Is their a rescue you could take him along too? Sometimes it's the unexpected pairing that work out. Trying him with several would be easiest, especially as he's laid back so it's a case of finding the right girl/boy to match.

Tam

I would allow Thumper to enjoy his remaining time in the way he is used to.
I would not take him to a rescue to attempt a bonding. Far too stressful and his poor ear infection may flare up. Bonding can be an extremely stressful time for even the most robust young bun.
Thumper can see/smell other Buns. Has you to wait on him hand and foot :lol: Has his 'Victor Meldrewness' :lol: and a familiar safe environment.
Yes bonded bunnies are lovely to see. Sometimes it is just not appropriate.
Just my humble opinion. I know many people go for the 'NEVER HAVE A SINGLE BUN APPROACH'
I dont agree, sometimes its just not going to work.
:D :D

Janex

Janex

Is their a rescue you could take him along too? Sometimes it's the unexpected pairing that work out. Trying him with several would be easiest, especially as he's laid back so it's a case of finding the right girl/boy to match.

Tamsin....we are a rescue :thumb: :lol:

Hey!!

The way I have found bonding to work well with mine was:

i kept Twix in a cage and placed him in Smudge's territory...that way she could approach him and smell him and there was no contact except through the bars. At first she would run away but gradually she started sitting and staring and then poking in her nose.

Then we started taking him out and holding him next to her so she could have a look at touch but I could move him quickly in case of any fighting.

I mixed their litter together and swapped their food and water bottles so they got used to the scent, then I would run my hands in his bedding etc and stroke her and vice versa.

I then put them together in the bath tub- soemwhere totally neutral and a bit new so they were distracted and I could easily separate them

After all that I put them in a carrier and took them for a 20 minute car ride as bunnies tend to cling together in stressful situations.

Before I knew they were huddled together in the carrier and from then on came grooming and lots of snuggling!!

It's a long process but worth it if it works.

That was my approach and mine are happy and smitten and luckily enough I had no fighting, but some don't always take like that.

I have to agree with Jane. Poor chap, At least he can still see the other bunnies and has company through wire so isn't completely solitary. who knows you may just get a rescue in that will just bond instantly with him.

I would leave that pairing as it is stressful for him. I wouldn't give up, but I would wait until a more suitable partner comes up.

Can you sort out some accomodation so that he can live alongside another bunny without actually being able to touch each other. Perhaps another bun who is hard to pair up?

Rabswood

well everyone .
decided against trying them back together .
Thumper is wearing his war wounds well and to be honest i think im more bothered than he is . :oops:

'ello Thumper me old mate, Uncle Albert here :D
Why would you want all the hassle of a Doe...
I mean its all 'have you put the litter-tray lid down'
'Have you put the bin bags out'
Why are you watching yet more Footie.....
Moan... moan..moan.... :roll: :roll:
My Doe is OK I suppose but I couldn't be bothered with a new bonding.
I mean we have to be on our best behaviour :roll: No snoring :roll: No scratching :roll: Having to keep our 'bits' GLEAMING :roll:
Nah mate, its not worth the hassle.
So, when is our Old Bucks night out!! :wink:
All the Best Thumper
Uncle A!!
XX

hi uncle A ,

not sure i could stand the pace of a night out just now . feeling a bit sore and besides got a few gaps in my fur wouldnt be seemly now to be seen like that . :oops: :oops:

These flippin hooomans . just when we get comfy and settled , there they are wi their daft bl**dy ideas .

any more and im leaving home , any space at yours mate?

Grumpy Thumper x

Back