• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet nose?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed for the past few days that molly has a wet nose. He's not sneezing and doesn't have runny eyes but I'm concerned it could be the start of snuffles. However I don't want to take him to the vet and look stupid as I've found on some websites they tell you to look for a pet with a wet nose when choosing one. :lol:

I sound really neurotic but I've never known his nose to be wet before.

Mine tends to have a wet nose- not dripping or anything.... just not as dry as I think they are meant to be... but I know thats just her cos shes been like it for nearly a year lol!

Dogs and cats should have wet noses I think, rabbits most definitely should not! I'd take your bun up the vets for a check over, respiratory tract infections are better if caught early!

Deelove said:
I've noticed for the past few days that molly has a wet nose. He's not sneezing and doesn't have runny eyes but I'm concerned it could be the start of snuffles. However I don't want to take him to the vet and look stupid as I've found on some websites they tell you to look for a pet with a wet nose when choosing one. :lol:

I sound really neurotic but I've never known his nose to be wet before.

Does your bun live indoors or out?

xxx

AlisonA said:
Dogs and cats should have wet noses I think, rabbits most definitely should not!

Well, that's what I thought too until I read the Rabbitlopaedia, and now I don't know what to believe :?

my simba has a wet nose sometimes but he seems to get it wet after he's eaten his veg or had a drink from his water bottle.. think he sniffs things too much!

He lives indoors.. I have just changed to giving him water in a bowl as well as a bottle, perhaps thats it. :-/

I gave my two a bowl while they were staying at my parents indoors.. simba suddenly developed a very wet nose.. it was soaking wet! I panicked and thought the worse.. then thought about it logically as he had no other symptoms.. i removed the bowl and managed to put a bottle up and amazingly his nose dried up! :lol: :lol: Little monkeys! Try removing the bowl.. as long as your bunny will use the bottle and see if its what yours is doing... obviously if it doesnt dry up without the bowl then might need to be checked by a vet :wink:

D'oh, I feel right silly now. His nose seems to be magically cured without the bowl. His nose being wetted wont cause hima ny bother will it? Cos he's a terribly noisey drinker from his bottle, which is why I swapped to a bowl.

:lol:

Us new bunny mummies aye. even though he's like 10 months old now. It's so hard to let them go and live their own lives. :p

Back