• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits from markets

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
One of my friends has brought several rabbits from stock markets where they are auctioned off.

She got one for 10p.

It makes me sick that this goes on, some of these rabbits used to be someones pet and could be going for snake food etc.

She now has 10 and has given each of them a wonderful life. Before I met her I had never heard of this kind of thing.

There is an auction place near Cheryl where they auction of rabbits and small animals for similiar amounts, many of which are in a poor state I believe. There is a market in Southall which also sells horses and guinea pigs, we are under the impression that many of the horses are believed to end up in France and local restaurants :cry:

jrn1310 said:
There is an auction place near Cheryl where they auction of rabbits and small animals for similiar amounts, many of which are in a poor state I believe. There is a market in Southall which also sells horses and guinea pigs, we are under the impression that many of the horses are believed to end up in France and local restaurants :cry:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Janex

jrn1310 said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Some people... :x :x :x

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
i just cant believe what i am reading. that makes me so cross! :evil:

I thought all small animal sales were baned now in markets. Were they adult rabbits? for the meat trade? . Years ago in london there were always markets selling baby animals but they stopped them from selling them years ago [ thank god ]. If they were adult then thers no way they would go for snake food as the majority only take new born rabbits.Not many people are going to have a snake big enough to eat an adult rabbit. val

taylor v 109 said:
I thought all small animal sales were baned now in markets. Were they adult rabbits? for the meat trade? . Years ago in london there were always markets selling baby animals but they stopped them from selling them years ago [ thank god ]. If they were adult then thers no way they would go for snake food as the majority only take new born rabbits.Not many people are going to have a snake big enough to eat an adult rabbit. val

They still sell small animals in local auctions. Our local one (about 5 mins drive from me) is on once a month. It is advertised as a bird auction but they always have dozens of rabbits, guinea pigs and often small rodents such as hamsters, gerbils, rats and mice. If ever I have plenty of space I got up there and take what I can. I went to one a few weeks ago and came back with 9 pigs, 1 of which is due to give birth any day and 3 more quite possibly pregnant. The litter of lionhead rabbits I have here were from someone that had brought both parents as a job lot at the auction and found they had babies. More often than not the rabbits and pigs are in boxes of mixed sexes and almost always the females are pregnant. It is not uncommon for guinea pigs and rabbits to go for around 50p, sometimes less. The guinea pigs especially usually have terrible skin problems that can take weeks to treat. These auctions are terrible places and very stressful for the animals that have to sit in boxes in a noisy, crouded room all day :cry: The people there dont care how the animals are handled, I have seen bunnies picked up by their ears and even a very heavily pregnant guinea pig picked up by her head :cry:
The worst was the livestock auction at Swaffham, the place was awful and there were people doing dirty dealings with crates of animals round the back :cry: You really cant imagine what hell is like for some animals until you visit one of these auctions :cry:

it astounds me that this still happens! i mean when was the last time you saw rabbit meat in tescos!?
or do they sell it abroad? :? ....do they export them live? is this illegal (i think it is with cows?)?

taylor v 109 said:

I was only using snake food as an example of the terrible fate that probably awaits a lot of them sold at these markets. I'm not sure if they were all adults when she got them but she has a mixture of breeds- rex, lop etc.

I would think these animals would be very lucky if they ended up in a good home as someones pet.

Gem said:
Theres a market in reading but I don't know if they have small animals :? :(

What market?
I live in reading and i have never seen animals but there is two and one of them i have never been to.

I couldn't handle that, I'd be there buying them all.
They could have anything if they're being sold like that, I doubt they've ever been to a vets or had jabs! How terrible. I'd inform the rspca as I'm sure they must be kept in bad conditions before the auction.

Well im gobsmacked that this is happing dosent the RSPCA do anything about these markets?. Thank god theres none near me id have sleepless nights worrying over the animals. val

Back