• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why is it?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have OFFERED to take in a free adds bunny, it doesnt look like there a breeder, just an ignorant owner (in the nicest sence) i have given her my number (she asked for it) and because i have answered the phone "briar patch rescue" she has put the phone down on me :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: wouldnt you want your bunny to go into a rescue, then some no mark that is enquiring about a "free" rabbit :roll: :roll: :roll: , i had one woman call and ask me ifd the hucth also comes free :shock: :roll: :roll: but thats another story :shock:

if you remeber i also offered to take some ebay bunnies ages ago and as soon as they heard i was a rescue they didnt want them to "go into rescue"

and had no reply to the frecnhie on ebay either!, my question is WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH RESCUE! :shock: :shock: :shock: ?

I think a lot of people are mis-informed about rabbit rescues if they don't have a lot of rabbit experience. Many think of them like dog pounds or somewhere the rabbit will get put down if not rehomed soon so they are reluctant to send them there.

You could try ringing back and explaining who you are and what will happen to them or just not say that you are a rescue.

I didn't know what to expect of a rescue til I went to one and I love them! Great places!!

some people just want their bunny to find a loving home straight away and not be " dumped," in a rescue some where with no guarantee of a home. Some people think that rescues are bad places or don't have enough time for their bunny.
Then you get the ones who think they will have to pay a large fee.

I think it's widely accepted that large "Rescues" like the RSPCA, pts unwanted pets, so maybe they are misinformed about the smaller places.

If I was re-homing, I would want to do it myself/homecheck/keep in touch with new owner etc - although I wouldn't have hung-up on someone! (cept my boss)

I've got to be honest if God forbid I ever had to rehome my buns, I wouldn't want them to go to rescue first.

SOAD said:
I've got to be honest if God forbid I ever had to rehome my buns, I wouldn't want them to go to rescue first.

I'd be the same - Nothing against Rescues, but I'm a control freak!!! :D

I think its also the guilt factor- perhaps they would rather they are settled in a home, than waiting at a rescue.

I can't believe that people would not accept an offer of help though- seems ridiculous to me!

I must admit, I think the other guys have hit the nail on the head!

Some misguided people probably think that bunnies will be put to sleep if they are not rehomed.

Carol xxx

I wonder if people feel that the kind of rabbits that end up in rescues come from the sort of homes that you see in animal abuse cases. They feel like handing over to a rescue imples that they have in some way mistreated or abused their animal and it makes them feel guilty. Obviously a misconception but I think people just don't really know enough about rescues.

Ok so maybe people don't understand exactly how rescues work but why don't they ask? Why don't they voice their concerns and talk them through? Its unacceptable to hang up on someone who is trying to help just because you are unsure of how it works.

Maybe they thought you'd give them a huge lecture. I know you wouldn't, but some rescues make the owner feel like **** (though some deserve it!) if they have to put their animal in a rescue.

Back