• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

annoyed - house rabbit or outdoors?

Leesa

Warren Scout
Just come back from the vets, where a different vet from usual treated Max. The usual girl we have is really nice, and never gave opinon when asked whether he was indoor or outdoor. TThe only thing she advised was that if we moved him outside to do it gradually, letting him sleep indoors til he had goted used to it outside. This vet asked the same, however when I answered that he was a house rabbit but also goes outdoors. He replied that he should be kept outdoors. Is there any particular reason for this?

I was a bit annoyed as I have always have had outdoor rabbits before when I was younger and was not sure about keeping a rabbit indoors, but reading into it I decided to get Max around 10 months ago, where he was a complete house rabbit (we never had a garden) until 2 weeks ago. We have recently bought our first house and Max now sleeps indoors, but is able to go indoors and out in the garden whenever we are downstairs able to watch him. I did originally want him to be completley free range, however he has a habit of chewing wires (even though tried bunny proofing), getting into places where he is not supposed to be, he basicially is a little escape artist, so he is only allowed out when we are there, which is evenings and al weekends.

In the house, he is kept cool and in the shade. He is cleaned out more than he would be if he was outdoors. He spends a lot more time with us and gets a greater deal more exercise than if he where kept in a hutch and allowed out sometimes. I think that he is a great deal friendlier than he would be if he was outdoors, as although he loves being stroked now, he used to hate it. Plus he gets more attention.

Now we have the garden do you think he should be kept outside? We were going to originally have him outdoors when we moved, but what he has now seems the best of both worlds.

I think some vets don't really have much to do with rabbits other than knowing how to 'vet' them. They might have the more traditional views of rabbits as outside pets. Lots of people haven't ever thought of having a rabbit indoors and are suprised by the idea. :?

Did your vet give a reason? Rabbits can live just as happily inside as out, there are positives and negatives for each. I'd ignore what your vet said, it sounds like your doing just fine. I imagine Max enjoys the extra attention he gets being a house rabbit and having you to talk to :)

Vet get different amounts of training on animals so it's possible the vet you saw just isn't that up to date on modern ways of keeping bunnies :?

Tam

No he didn't give a reason, would have thought to ask but was busy trying not let Max jump off the table. Will ask next time if it is the same vet - hehas to go back in 10 days.

Back