• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

TIPS FOR SUMMER-HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

stacy_d

New Kit
I read in the 'Rabbits For Dummies' book that it is good to freeze bottles of water for your rabbit to sit next to and cool down during the sticky summer months. Just wondering if anyone has tried and tested this? I did it with skippy but he didn't seem to realise what the bottle was for and just shyed away from it :roll: would love to hear of any other tips for cooling down our buns in the summer.

Yup :lol:

Mine have just been to the vets for their myxi jabs and I put a frozen bottle in with each pair. I have tried it in their sheds as well (wrapped in a thin cloth) and they do seem to lie against it once they realise it's there and that it's nice and cool - does take them a while to realise though :lol:

I have a smallish hutch - super duper xlarge one is on its way - so I cant put larrge bottles in there.... But I put the new mini coke world cup bottles in there and I think it helps.... :)

Jack's-Jane said:
Ceramic Tiles that have been in the freezer work well too!!

Nice tip Jane, I'm gonna get me some of those! Do they get very brittle, am I at risk of snapping them?

And please forgive the stupid question but how does a muppet know what is a ceramic tile as opposed to any other type of tile :oops: I have lots of old tiles lying around so I might as well use them if they're suitable!!

AlisonA said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Ceramic Tiles that have been in the freezer work well too!!

Nice tip Jane, I'm gonna get me some of those! Do they get very brittle, am I at risk of snapping them?

And please forgive the stupid question but how does a muppet know what is a ceramic tile as opposed to any other type of tile :oops: I have lots of old tiles lying around so I might as well use them if they're suitable!!

Well this 'ere Muppet went in to Wickes and said' a box of ceramic tiles to keep my bunnies cool please'
:lol: :lol:
I think most bathroom/kitchen tiles are ceramic. I have never had a prob with them cracking.
Janex

Thanks Jane - small box of tiles with dodgy foreign label but including the word 'ceramica' located in the cupboard in the downstairs WC. Contents of box duly transferred to freezer :lol:

I give up with my daft bunnies. They ignore their tiles, their chinchilla chiller granite, their frozen water bottles and wet towels. I'll just concentrate on giving them total shade from now on, and leave them to it I think!

SarahP said:
I give up with my daft bunnies. They ignore their tiles, their chinchilla chiller granite, their frozen water bottles and wet towels. I'll just concentrate on giving them total shade from now on, and leave them to it I think!

Mine too, she ignores everything! My hair is turning grey trying to keep alfie and the chinnies cool. I think that SURELY if they were that hot, they would lie against the cold bottle so maybe they don't feel they need to, which would be good if it means they're fairly comfortable as they are? Or maybe frozen stuff is just too cold if their skin/fur is really hot?

I'm going to try wrapping the bottles in a thin cloth like Alison describes in the hope it might take the edge off the chilliness and encourage them to lie against it. Interested to see if that makes a difference.

Have also been to sainsburys for ice packs (you'd think Iceland would sell ice packs? nope), frozen them and lined them along top of chin cage and alfie's house. She is confined to her house more in the heat as I don't want her running around and overheating or forgetting to drink.

I had an old sock round my frozen bottle, (the bunnies would have unwrapped anything else), so it definitely wasn't too cold. They just aren't interested in any help that I can give them to keep cool! Until I put them totally in the shade they were laying with their heads in the shade and their entire bodies in the sun! :lol: :shock:

The outdoor piggies that I'm looking after at the moment were much more appreciate of my efforts! :lol:

I use the tile trick on my piggies last summer and this hot spell too!! Maya had a freezer pack in a tea towel today and there is absolutely no way i can give Bindi anything without her distroying it :lol: :lol:

Wallace ignores her frozen bottles but on Sunday I caught Oliver straddling his :shock: - bet he had a nice cool tummy! :lol:

Don't freeze a hot water bottle because rubber becomes glassy when below a certain temperature and your water bottle is likely to shatter!!!

This is what happened to the o-rings on space shuttle Columbia.

(Sorry, did materials science at uni - bit of an engineering geek. :oops: )

Yay!! :D Success!!!!

Froze the tiles, then put in her house covered by a tea towel. As I type she is flopped out on it nice and cool! Still ignoring the bottles no matter what I cover them with so just putting them on her roof panels so they cool the air inside!

OMG, thunderstorms just started now -silly wabbit

wow lots of great advice there! i'm going to stick with trying to get skippy used to the bottles, he still seems a bit puzzled by them :roll: but hopefully the penny will drop, he isn't the cleverest of bunnies!!

Mine are miserable so and so's and ignore the bottles that take up 90% of our freezer! So I go out and spray them several times a day, they hate it but it keeps them cool, it also ensures they get a little water as they lick it off their coats.

Back