• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous bunny help

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi Folks

Im looking for some advice about my little Daisy bun. She is the sweetest prettiest bun you will ever meet but also the most nervous and scared :( Ive had her since November 05 and got her from a rescue. She was born in the rescue so didnt really have a lot of human contact when she was younger. She has opened up a lot since she bonded with Denzil but even now she it still very nervous.

I recently moved back to my parents and have the bunnies in their dog crate in my room. They get a run every evening but mostly just in my room and on the landing as it is so stressful to try and get Daisy downstairs or in the garden. She hates and I mean hates being picked up so I thought it would be better to put her harness and lead on her they she may follow me downstairs and outside......nope! Couldnt get the harness on without stressing my poor little girl out so I left it for a few days. I tried again last night and managed to get it on and managed to get her outside (i had to pick her up and she wasnt happy). She adored being outside, jumping and binking with Denzil. Id love for her to go outside more often but the thought of stressing her out trying to get her out really worries me.

Im sorry for the long post but I really need to help my little girl

Thanks for reading

Hiya,

I'd recommend trying a cat carry case for transport. If there is room in the dog crate leave it in all the time (they make good beds) otherwise leave it in your room so she's used to it and goes in and out when she's exercising.

When you want to take her outside just encourage her into the case and then again when you want to take her back outside.

A front opening carrier she can walk into would be best. Transport both of them the same way, she'll feel more relaxed with her friend in it too.

There are some tips here on picking up nervous bunnies you can practice too: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Tam

Thanks Tamsin, I do have a carry case, ive got one big enough for a single bun and one big enough for the both of them, both are front opening. Unfortuately I havent got enough room in the cage to put either in there.

Ill leave the larger one on my room for a few nights so they get used to it and then take them to the garden. Does that sound ok?

I know i might be asking daft questions but both Denzil and Elvis my first bun loved being handled so this is still new to me.

I agree!

Get her to hop into a box or something else so you can carry her outside as she may have had a bad experience being held once or just not like it.

My rabbit hates being able to see that he's above ground so I have to hold him close and tight so he feels safe.

Try just sitting with her and tempting her onto your lap with a small treat and after a while she will come to you more and then you can try picking her up once she trusts you more. Or use the treat to get her in the box to take her out. Once she associates the box or the food with the fun end result she will happily get in there.

I have managed to get mine to hop from their hutch and into my house on their own without needing to pick them up as they now know that they're about to have fun!!

Will she walk downstairs??

Wallace isn't too keen on being picked up either. When Wallace and Oliver go outside (or anywhere in the house) I tend to play sheep dog and 'herd' them in the right direction. :D

Wallace knows that when I put her carrier on the floor that means she's going in so she walks in rather than risk being picked up! :lol:

No, neither of them will walk downstairs, its not a problem with Denzil as he is such a lump, he`s quite happy to be picked up and carried everywhere!! Lazy s*d :lol: :lol:

Is it because they don't know how or because they just refuse?

None of mine would go downstairs when I first got them but they soon learn - you've got to show them!! They learn really quickly - one successful attempt and they'll be off!!

Sweetie said:
Ill leave the larger one on my room for a few nights so they get used to it and then take them to the garden. Does that sound ok?

I know i might be asking daft questions but both Denzil and Elvis my first bun loved being handled so this is still new to me.

That sounds like a good plan. You could try putting a bit of hay or newspaper in the bottom, that will make it more interesting and less slippy when you carry them :)

Buns have such different personalities, even when you've had lots there is always something new they teach you or you have to learn. It's not a silly question at all :)

I have exactly the same problem with Milly. Its very difficult to get her to go anywhere I want her to, esp into an enclosed space. It usually takes 15 mins to get her into the carry case - typically Jack jumps in and out during this time and eventually Milly follows! Be patient and she will get better - I can stroke Milly's head now and she comes to me when I go in their room. A few weeks ago she just spent all her time hiding under the table.

Me too! Mine were really quite nervous when I first got them (in October last year) and they also have a dog crate in the house for them to go in and out of. Sometimes they can still be a bit jumpy, but they are about a million times better at being stroked/picked up now. I find just stroking them and talking to them and not picking them up sometimes helps them get used to me and makes them relax a bit more. I had been using the carrier to transport them around to their run and up and downstairs, as they were so hard to catch, but I don't need to anymore, they let me pick them up, hurrah!
Good luck and keep on perservering (sorry I can't spell that word :oops: ).
Nicola x

Back