• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Harness

Frankie

Young Bun
Hi

I need to take hotpot to the vets soon to be spayed and I was thinking about getting a harness for her due to her size and not being able to fit in the cat carrier i have for my other two.
Can anybody recommend any good harness which she would find comfortable and that would be safe for her or whether this is even a good idea :D

Hiya. I would not recommend you take your Bun to the Vet in a harness. She may be BIG but she is still a Bunny and therefore will be very frightened. She will need a secure crate for transportation.
I am against the use of a harness for any rabbit full stop but that is just MY personal opinion and I know many people disagree :D

Janex

im no expert, but i wouldnt think it would be a good idea really.

The bunny might feel a bit exposed, and personally i would want a more secure option.

also if she is being spayed, when you are bringing her home i shouldnt imgaine a harness would be a good idea either! if she were to be leaping around etc ..... i would perfer if it were my bun that she was in a nice safe box were she could be kept quietly with out risk of pulling stiches etc after op.

Ihave to agree with Jane. She is a rabbit and if she is on a harness in a strange place and someone brings a dog in on a lead then all hell may break loose!!! It'll be stressful enough for her so I would get her a crate.

I agree too about not using one, Its def. not a good idea. She isnt a dog, and wont walk where she is meant to. I bought a harness, and hate it!! Think how small and delicate their little bodies are (Especially their necks :shock: ), there is no way that pulling them away from danger or whatever you do when it pulls, cant harm bunny. I'd say a definate No No!! Xx

Sorry i think we have wires crossed :shock: i wasn't intending to walk her like a dog - heavens no :oops:
I was intending just to carry her from house-car car-vets and visa versa then using the harness just in case. she is a very relaxed bunny and loves being held. because of her size i just don't like the thought of her going into a box :( i also need to find on big enough which i can still carry she is just over a stone in weight and about 2ft long, any ideas where to get one from :)

Frankie said:
Sorry i think we have wires crossed :shock: i wasn't intending to walk her like a dog - heavens no :oops:
I was intending just to carry her from house-car car-vets and visa versa then using the harness just in case. she is a very relaxed bunny and loves being held. because of her size i just don't like the thought of her going into a box :( i also need to find on big enough which i can still carry she is just over a stone in weight and about 2ft long, any ideas where to get one from :)

She will be MUCH safer being transported in a secure crate. You need to think like a Bunny here :lol: She will be in a strange environment (car/vets) and will be anxious. A scared anxious Bunny wants to get down their burrow pronto!! So in the absence of a burropw a safe crate will suffice :D It is much 'kinder' to the rabbit and less dangerous than taking her into a Vets unprotected. Even in your arms an exuberent dog could jump up at her and scare her .....or worse :shock: The last thing she needs before a GA is an adrenalin rush!!
Janex

If you cant find a carrier, Snowflakes Mummy (Saz?!) has like a buggy thingy, Maybe try that? Also, Not sure if shes a giant or whatever, but think Rainbow takes storm to the vets in a carrier and hes like 5kg or something! xx

I take Alex (5kg New Zealand White) in a box I stole from work. He's very laid back, but at my vets, there's always a couple of dogs in the waiting room.

As far as the harness is concerned - most of my buns hate them. A couple will not tolerate them (& fight - they could hurt themselves), so there's only Joey that goes on it now. He loves it, but i wouldn't leave the garden

If you cant find a carrier, Snowflakes Mummy (Saz?!) has like a buggy thingy, Maybe try that? Also, Not sure if shes a giant or whatever, but think Rainbow takes storm to the vets in a carrier and hes like 5kg or something! xx

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yuh Becki is more than right - I do have a buggy.... and the only place shes been out in it so far is the polling station lol! but shes far from being a giant! lol - shes a mini lop and a skinny one at that lol.

but I do recommend a carrier- bunnies generally cant abide harnesses....
try a dog carrier from argos....
I had one before I broke it lol - and its huge and I am sure would more than accompany your bunny.

but I do recommend a carrier- bunnies generally cant abide harnesses....
try a dog carrier from argos....
I had one before I broke it lol - and its huge and I am sure would more than accompany your bunny.[/quote]

I looked at Argos first their dog carriers only hold about 2.5kg and hotpot is 6.5kg :lol:

We use a sterdy box to transport Jessica in as she is 8kg. We have a tray that fits exactly in the bottom of the box so fill this up with wood shavings/barley straw and hay.

We tried to find a suitable carrier, but she is sooo huge - and the box system works well.

I use a dog carrier I got from QD for £20-25 for my giants, they have tonnes of room in it and it folds down flat. I wish I'd bought more! They're by Rolson or something, called a dog trans-paw-ter lol

Loopy goes round the garden in her "Stretchy Strolller" which is a mesh harness. She has a vert thick coat. We cant stop the foxes getting in and loopy does enjoy the odd escape attempt though she is getting a bit older now. Walking a rabbit it not like a dog. Their movements are quite random and you have to follow and keep the lead slack. We do have someone locally to me in London who carries her bunny to the local park in a grass shoulder bag, then goes for a sniff around on her lead. Bunny stands in the bag and her head pokes out the top. Bunny also tolerates going on the Tube like this (though not I hope in these tempratures. Aircon is coming to the tube in time for the end of the Olympics).

As for vet visits, a carrier is best. Look for one with car seatbelt guides.

Adam

i have harvey and did so with buddy in the garden on a harness. its one of those extending ones.

I always follow them everywhere and jog along if i need to. being house buns i like to give them time safely in the garden. theres too many holes and gaps to let him off.

Neither of my 2 were fussed. they hop about sniff munch dig chase me etc etc and when they have had enough they guide me back indoors so i let them off there. Usually out in the garden with them for about 40 mins a time.

i have found a carrier on ebay for 0.99p which will hold upto 10kg and is large enough for her length so i think that i will go for that.
Thanks for all your help and advice :D

Back