PDA

View Full Version : Neutral territory?

Azraelm
12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
How long does a rabbit consider an area to still be its territory if it hasn't been there for a while?

I know about thoroughly cleaning etc, but what if a slight smell still lingered after a week?- would the rabbit recognize it had been there before?

thanks x

raven_guest
12-06-2006, 01:23 PM
The second they get in somehwere, they'll probably start scenting it anyway. If you have thoroughly cleaned it, I doubt they will think it's theirs still.
If you're talking in terms of bonding, the bath can be successful

Azraelm
12-06-2006, 01:46 PM
thank you, the problem is the area is carpeted and brick walls, so I cannot really disinfect it as thoroughly...

I have hoovered as best I can and sprayed a pet disinfectant around.

Azraelm
12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
bump :)

Angie65
12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm quite lazy with this. If I want a territory to be neutral, i swap buns around for a few weeks. Like Chocolate's two tier. It was hers for a while, so i swapped it, so it was Cracker's. They had it for a few days each, so they get used to each other's smell. I introduced them in the bath, then put them both back in the two tier - where Cracker had been last. Chocolate's usually territorial, but it worked. (Actually, she probably just decided to give in, so she could stop playing musical cages!!! :lol: )

I don't move them again though, once they're settled. (Had a swap round yesterday, so i could get another foursome together).