• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutral territory?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
How long does a rabbit consider an area to still be its territory if it hasn't been there for a while?

I know about thoroughly cleaning etc, but what if a slight smell still lingered after a week?- would the rabbit recognize it had been there before?

thanks x

The second they get in somehwere, they'll probably start scenting it anyway. If you have thoroughly cleaned it, I doubt they will think it's theirs still.
If you're talking in terms of bonding, the bath can be successful

thank you, the problem is the area is carpeted and brick walls, so I cannot really disinfect it as thoroughly...

I have hoovered as best I can and sprayed a pet disinfectant around.

I'm quite lazy with this. If I want a territory to be neutral, i swap buns around for a few weeks. Like Chocolate's two tier. It was hers for a while, so i swapped it, so it was Cracker's. They had it for a few days each, so they get used to each other's smell. I introduced them in the bath, then put them both back in the two tier - where Cracker had been last. Chocolate's usually territorial, but it worked. (Actually, she probably just decided to give in, so she could stop playing musical cages!!! :lol: )

I don't move them again though, once they're settled. (Had a swap round yesterday, so i could get another foursome together).

Back