• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to I keep them cool??

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
My poor bunnies are not liking this heat ( and my little chinchilla is also feeling it badly :( ) I have blinds up in my room to help stop the sun blazing through the window they all have plenty of water. chico has a " chin-chillar" ( a marble tile that you can put in the fridge. what else can I do?
are ice cubes in the water OK to use? what about spraying the buns with cooled water? I want to get an air cooller if I could just find some where to put it!.
HELP!!

Gawd Rainbow I know. My lot are all flaked out and keep looking at me as if the heat is MY FAULT :roll:
You can use the chilled tiles for Storm and Gypsy too. Its best not to ice their drinking water as they can get tummy ache from it.
However if they dont mind having their ears/back of their neck dabbed with cool water that helps too. You can do it several times a day if they will let you.
Janex

mine all think the heat is my fault too :shock: :roll: I did wonder about the ice and their tummies, thanks for clarifying this for me :D what if my bunnies try and eat the tiles? :shock: Chico tries to chew his but isn't quite strong enough to break it, I have visions of Storm picking his up and throwing it around :roll:
Their ears feel really hot :shock: is this how they regulate their tempreture?
This moring Chico gave me such a shock as he was laid out on his back with his legs in the air!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: he NEVER does this!. I know heat and chins don't go well together and high tempretures can kill them :( I have a bowl of icecubes on top of his cage to cool the heat as it rises :? ( not sure if this will work)
flipping heat!!! :x

You dont have to ice their water bottle but you could get a human coke bottle and freeze that and lie it in their cage and then they could lay next to it!

My 2 are really getting on my nerves at the moment, as everything I try to do gets sabotaged! :shock: I am looking after a couple of outdoor guinea pigs at the moment (mine are indoors) and I made them a nice tent with a wet towl over a plastic step stool thingy. Tried to do something similar with the bunnies with their carry cases, and they knocked them over (including the wet towel) in 2 minutes. Have tried putting nice frozen bottles in too, and they just ignore them and lay around looking like the heat is all my fault too! :lol:

This moring Chico gave me such a shock as he was laid out on his back with his legs in the air!!! he NEVER does this!. I know heat and chins don't go well together and high tempretures can kill them I have a bowl of icecubes on top of his cage to cool the heat as it rises ( not sure if this will work)
flipping heat!!!

Hi! I have 2 chins and they keep laying like this. It is freaking me out and I am doing the same as you 'chin chillers' in the freezer, frozen water bottles on top of cage to cool the air.

i went to a tile shop and got a granite slab in clearance that I have put on the base of their cage. It keeps cool really well but the little b***ers will NOT sit/lay on it or the chin chiller, they just lay on their backs looking dead. How can I help them if they won't be sensible. It's so frustrating!

It's the same with Alfie bun - tiles, frozen bottles -she's having none of it -plus she keeps running and binkying and I am so scared she will overheat. I never knew it would get this hot in my flat in summer as we haven't been here long. When I open the window, hotter air comes in. I need a/c for the chins tho - I'm changing the ice every hour or so :(

Good luck keeping all your babies cool in the heat xx

Am really hoping tomorrow won't be so hot, as I'll be at work and not able to look after them like I have today.

Alfie_and_angel said:
This moring Chico gave me such a shock as he was laid out on his back with his legs in the air!!! he NEVER does this!. I know heat and chins don't go well together and high tempretures can kill them I have a bowl of icecubes on top of his cage to cool the heat as it rises ( not sure if this will work)
flipping heat!!!

Hi! I have 2 chins and they keep laying like this. It is freaking me out and I am doing the same as you 'chin chillers' in the freezer, frozen water bottles on top of cage to cool the air.

i went to a tile shop and got a granite slab in clearance that I have put on the base of their cage. It keeps cool really well but the little b***ers will NOT sit/lay on it or the chin chiller, they just lay on their backs looking dead. How can I help them if they won't be sensible. It's so frustrating!

It's the same with Alfie bun - tiles, frozen bottles -she's having none of it -plus she keeps running and binkying and I am so scared she will overheat. I never knew it would get this hot in my flat in summer as we haven't been here long. When I open the window, hotter air comes in. I need a/c for the chins tho - I'm changing the ice every hour or so :(

Good luck keeping all your babies cool in the heat xx

I know, it's a real nightmare!. Chico actually swore at me for putting the chin-chillar in his cage! :shock: Storm kicked the frozen bottle at Gypsy :shock: and gypsy is now in a mood with me as if to say " why did you give him that so he could do that to me?," :? I don't think Storm really meant to hit Gypsy with it, he just likes throwing things and kicking them around not really thinking about where they will land!

Thank you everyone for all the sugestions :D I hope everone's little ones will be OK in this heat!

Dobb's and Treacle don't seem too bad with the heat but candy seems to be suffering more with molting and her fur getting everywhere. I bought a grooming glove and sat for ages grooming her, brushing her fur backwards and forwards, she even lay on her side so I could do her tummy, then afterwards I got a damp face cloth and wiped her down, ears and everything, that really seemed to help her.

Dobb's enjoyed the grooming but decided to fight with the face cloth and Treacle dozed off while I was grooming her so I decided to leave her be and not even try the wet facecloth just in case it startled her.

So, apart from me being very uncomfortable with rabbit fur everywhere, the grooming seems to do the trick with my 3, just wish I had someone daft enough to sit getting it all off me :lol: :lol:

I just give mine a cup of cold water if they are too hot - Milly then happily flings the cup about and the cool water goes over the both of them!!! Over heating problem solved!!! :lol: :lol:

I just give mine a cup of cold water if they are too hot - Milly then happily flings the cup about and the cool water goes over the both of them!!! Over heating problem solved!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahaha thats an easy one then!!!

bunnies and heat

Try freezing small bottles of water so the buns can lay near them.Its not essential to be next to them as they will decrease the air temp near them.Its o.k.if the bun gets damp from any melted water.If you get a small spray thingy you can 'mist spray' on them or nearthem. A damp teatowel on top of their shoulders will work- if they stay still. Outside bunnies will also benefit from damp teatowels/old curtains draped over their hutches/runs and a quick spray with your hosepipe around them cools the air temp down and keeps the grass/patio/surrounding plants/trees cool too.Then you can repeat when necessary
If you can get a fan rogged up- I'm lucky in that my shed where they live at night has electricity so when its really hot aswell as open windows (wire covered against intruders)eitherside I plug in an occillating fan.What luxury :lol:
Theyre worth it.
Lynne

Storm really enjoyed me dampening his lovely long ears with cool water :lol: he also loved being " misted over," with cool water too :D Gypsy however ran away from the mist and pushed my hand away if I tried to dampen her ears :? :lol: she got into quite a mood with me :lol:

Back