• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

run based on grass

touie

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone else got a permanent run based on grass? I have one and am having a bit of a nightmare keeping the run looking nice and clean as its impossible to sweep! Just wondering what other people do?

My Dad's rabbits' run is on grass - but his are extremely clean rabbits - they never ever poo in their run - they always pop back into their hutch toilet to do their business. In fact, they are very modest little things, they never poop in front of you, they go away to their private toilet to do their business. :lol:

Its got wire underneath so not sure if that would work. I sweep up and get all the loose ones, problem comes when its wet and the loose ones go mushy before I can get to them!

Mine is on concrete, and I have a separate run for them on the grass. Given how much of a mess they make on the concrete, I dread to think how bad it would be on grass. Even with a litter tray, mine throw hay around everywhere.

Sorry I can't offer any ideas on this one. We had our run on grass at the old house, and it completely ruined the grass and was a real state after just a few months. They now live on concrete, but once the turf is ready, they'll get plenty of chances to run around on the grass.

I've got 2 other runs on the concrete so the grass is the only space left for this one unfortunately :(

Is it completely impossible to move the run? If not, could you lift it and then rake the area?

Could you burry the run under the turf at all? :?

i guess I could buy some turf to go on top of it not sure whether that would just get yucky too though :? can't move it, its much too heavy as it has a hutch bolted onto the top of it.

touie said:
i guess I could buy some turf to go on top of it not sure whether that would just get yucky too though :? can't move it, its much too heavy as it has a hutch bolted onto the top of it.

Problem is the turf would never take with bunnies running all over it and it's the wrong time of year for laying turf now anyway.

Could you put tarpaulin over the run to keep the area dry and avoid the mushy poos problem?

I do have one over it I guess the damp just spreads though, its not too bad at the moment just a problem in the winter!

Back