• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chipping Rabbits

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
As in micro chip .. with your contact details say if they accidently got loose :(

Have you done it? Would you consider doing it?

My vet charges around £20.

I know the RSPCA do it for cats, as all the cat's we've adopted over the years have had the chip placed into their neck :)

To be honest, I wouldn't have it done. I don't think hardly anyone would think to check if they were chipped or not Xx

beckiboo186 said:
To be honest, I wouldn't have it done. I don't think hardly anyone would think to check if they were chipped or not Xx

I know it isn't the sole reason why rabbits are abandoned / lost or strayed but I think it would help y'know? :eek:

I try to be as vigilant as possible with my buns, not let them out of my sight or exposed to potential hazards that could affect their safeties.

Princess is microchipped cos she came from Blue Cross and we do all bunnies at our centre. It would def be very helpful if she was ever to get outta the garden, I'm sure proper places like vets + rescue centres would scan. Tis up to you though, Amy isn't done and I'm not really planning on it being done!

Nicola

I did not know you could chip rabbits, i have had my horses chipped,
Must say it is a good idea if they ever do get out.

I looked into this when I first had Charlie, I called several rescue centres and vets in my area to ask them if they checked rabbits for chips - they all said no. I thought this was dreadful!

Anyhow, I therefore didn't get them done, instead I spent the money on an extra babygate to put on the back door incase they ever ran through the one on the lounge, and also two rabbit harnesses with little ID tags for when they go outside in the garden.

Its a good idea but many many places don't even think to check a bun for a chip :(

A couple of mine are done, not sure which ones without checking paperwork now :?

Gilo was microchipped when she was spayed as it was cheaper & ocassionally people forget to close the door properly, also she goes out on a lead.
Rose

I definitey think it's a good idea to get them chipped.

However, public awareness needs to be increased with regards to getting any found bun checked to see if it is chipped.

RSPCA's, vets, animal sanctuaries, police etc. all need to be made aware that a bun could be chipped, as many dogs and cats are, for this practice to work.

I would say it can only be a good thing :thumb:

Carol xxx

Back