• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipper Type

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
Ok so I some off of eBay advertised as "being ideal for cats, dogs and small animals."

Today I took the courage to try and use them. I have to say what a cheap and shody pair! :( My dad kindly offered to help me, but we didn't get any further than doing one paw. They just were too blunt and we didn't want to cause any further upset / distress towards Sophie.

Guilotine claw clippers :(

What do you use on your rabbits?

Did you buy online and if so where from please? :oops:

I think I might go to my vets, as they sell stuff like that. I am avoiding P@H *boycotted*

I feel awful ... :(

Aww, Don't feel awful. Were the ones you got Guilotine clippers? Or is that what they were advetised as? :? I've heard these are the best type, but others may know differently. I just let my vet do it :oops:

beckiboo186 said:
Aww, Don't feel awful. Were the ones you got Guilotine clippers? Or is that what they were advetised as? :? I've heard these are the best type, but others may know differently. I just let my vet do it :oops:

Yeah that's right :eek: Although they weren't very effective.
I used to get my vets to do it, but last time they said "why don't you try yourself?" I guess well maybe I should, I mean at the end of the day it gets me to know their anatomy etc.

ladystardust said:
beckiboo186 said:

Yeah that's right :eek: Although they weren't very effective.
I used to get my vets to do it, but last time they said "why don't you try yourself?" I guess well maybe I should, I mean at the end of the day it gets me to know their anatomy etc.

Hehe, My vet says that too - but i'd rather they be in a strop with the vet rather than me :lol: :oops: . I might give them a go one day, Maybe ask in bunny chat what the best nail clippers are? Xx

i use guliteen clippers, i bought mine from a local pet shop (one of the only ones i use lol as they dont keep animals and are super cheap ;) ) but also the ones in poundland are quite good.

as a general rules the more often you do it the better the rabbits cope, my get done about once a month or so as i only take off a bit, id rather do little and often, and all but the rescues and the giant, i do by myself and they just lay out on their back the same as grooming, no stres at all. with the other i need to hold and my mum clips

I use dog clippers, the guiltoine ones have caused so many accidents I always advice people not to use them, I've heard horror stories of buns pulling away whielst the nail is in the guilotine (you can imagine the consiquences)
I find dog clippers will cut the nail a lot easier too adn often have guards to stop you uctting too much off.

raven_guest said:
I use dog clippers, the guiltoine ones have caused so many accidents I always advice people not to use them, I've heard horror stories of buns pulling away whielst the nail is in the guilotine (you can imagine the consiquences)
I find dog clippers will cut the nail a lot easier too adn often have guards to stop you uctting too much off.

We bought some new ones that are like scissors but defined differently at the end.
I managed to cut Flopy's nails this afternoon and the remainder of Sophies, pain free for the first time! :)

Back