• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you keep your rabbit safe in the summer?

Janna Galaxy

Young Bun
Hi,

With the recent heatwave in the UK, I was wondering what precausions I should take with Atlantis?

He's in my living room with water. I've refelected the blinds so that the heat is redirected, he has water....but is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Janine and Atlantis

Do you let him out to run around? I guess it depends if he is litter trained or not.

Do you have a humidifier or maybe a fan? I wouldn't recommend like putting it directly near the cage, but in the same room if it's big enough.

Mine are outdoor rabbits and so I try and put them outside under a tree or some equally shaded area, with cold water (emptied and rebottled each day) and lettice.

I rotate the areas in which their run is kept so that they get new grass each time.

Ceramic tiles, wet jeans and cold water bottles (fill them with water and put them in the freezer untill frozen) are good for buns to have so they can lie against them if they are too hot. Also plenty of water and shade avaliable.

In our old flat the lounge (where the buns live) got the sun, so I used to kept the curtains shut and keep a fan on. I put the fan on oscillate near the cage so it drew the air past it but not so it was blasting the buns, and put it on a timer plug - so it was on over mid day but on intermittently in the cooler part sof the day.

I tried the plastic bottles of water but they chewed through them and I got home to very wet buns!

When we're in the flat I give them lots of water with a splash of fruit juice in (what ever I am making smoothie or juice out of, they just get a splash of the same) and pieces of watermelon.

I know some people spray their buns with a water spray if its v v hot.

Hope that helps. :D

I do all the above and spray my buns if it's very bad, their runs are covered and I soak the grass too so it's cooler to lie on.

Im really lucky my rabbits are in a permanent uncovered run which is made up of paving slabs - so very cool plus they are in a part of the garden that gets no sun at all and shade 100% of the day

Thanks for posting this - as I wass wondering also whether I was doing enough to keep my bunny coool.
I use the new little mini coke bottles and freeze them and keep a towel over half way doen her hutch so it doesnt get to hot. And lots of cold water fresh every few hours if I can.

watermelon is good to relief summer heat, especially for a human too. Whenever I eat watermelon due to the summer heat, my bunny jump to my chair and have a bite too.

A frozen bottle of water to snuggle up to and baby suncream!!!

My two had green ears this weekend as I bought that sun cream that goes on green so you can tell they're covered.

Breat for bunny mummies and daddies too when it's really hot as factor 30!

We dampen down their ears with a wet hand or flannel, this is where buns control their temp. When they are hot they will pump lots of blood to them and stick them up (if not lops!) like big radars, if you wet the ears it helps to cool the blood.

It works really quickly and they stop panting quite so much! :lol:

OMG! :shock:

I never even thought of any of this. I can't believe I've nearly killed my buns. They will all have frozen jeans, & bottles for tomorrow :shock:

bunny_burrows said:
Ceramic tiles, wet jeans and cold water bottles (fill them with water and put them in the freezer untill frozen) are good for buns to have so they can lie against them if they are too hot. Also plenty of water and shade avaliable.

Wet Jeans :shock: I dont understand? What do you do with wet jeans :lol:
Also can buns eat the seeds in water melons?
I tried to give mine honey dew melon at the weekend to cool them down but they wasnt interested :roll:

Our 2 buns out doors and in the shaed of a 60ft plus tree also they have a tarp over then to keep them dry. We had cut the tarp so there was a front flap and due to this they now have a shade canopy because we bulldog clip the front clap to the top 2 chairs.

They also get a run in the morning about 6am and again about 8pm at night. They also love their frozen water bottles.

Red our house rabbit has a fan, frozen water bottle and is in total shade.

mmmm must try the frozen jeans.

Jode

pepsi said:
bunny_burrows said:

Wet Jeans :shock: I dont understand? What do you do with wet jeans :lol:
Also can buns eat the seeds in water melons?
I tried to give mine honey dew melon at the weekend to cool them down but they wasnt interested :roll:
You get an old pair of jeans that you don't wear anymore and wet them so they are cool then give them to your bun to lie on to cool down. They work well as denim stays wet for so long! :D

Back