• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new bunny...

Squishy

Banned
Lol I've seen a lot of likes and dislikes about this and I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with what I say. But I'm going to say it anyway.

Rescue Buns

I would say this was the best place to get a bun, but where I am there are two small rescues, one is someone who takes in unwanted buns and piggies and tries to rehome them by selling them. The other is a cattery who takes in unwanted cats, dogs, rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, and other pets. She asks for donations but doesn't get a lot of bunnies in. So that sort of narrows down the choices sometimes.

Pet Shop Buns

A lot of people don't like buying pets fromt he pet shop, because it makes more space for them to bring in more bunnies. I understand that point of view for bad pet shops but then if we passed the bun by someone else would buy it and the petshop would be able to bring in that new bun. From what I've seen a lot of the buns coming into the rescuse are from owners who have either got bored of the buns or can't handle them. And if it's a good petshop who looks after their buns then what is the worry of taking a bun off them. There was a petshop near me, the owner made sure her buns and other animals where in pristine conditions, i did four weeks work experience with her. She would make sure people knew what they where getting into before selling her pets. I didn't think there was anything wrong with buying a bun off her

So where pet shops are concerned I think it depends on the shop and the situation the bun is in.

If the shop was a nice one and the owners made sure people knew what they where getting into I would leave the buns there.

But if there was a bun that looked miserable or sick or hurt i would not leave it there just because it's wrong to fund a petshop.

Breeders.

I do agree MOST of the time, not to get off a breeder. But there is no point saying don't get that bun off the breeder because but taking the bun off the breeder it gives them more space for breeding more. From my expericence with breeders, if they want more space they will make it one way or another. I'm not saying all breeders are like this because I have seen some people on here who have some nice looking kits, I'm just saying some of the time it wouldn't matter if you took the bun or not, if they wanted the roomt hey would make it. Even if it ment havign the buns PTS or "ringing their necks". I knew a breeder who was going to leave a bunny starve because they couldnt home it, at which time I took the bun. Would you say I was bad for that? Because I paid for the bun?

I know alot of people won't agree with this and I will prolly get a lot of flaming, but I don't like the way some people over the past few weeks have got flamed for wanting to get a bun of a breeder or actually getting one.

I believe every bun should have a chance for a nice life no matter where it comes from! Whether it a rescue, petshop or breeder bun.

Thats all I have to say that my opinion and everyone else is entitled to theirs...

I agree completely. I got Binky from a petshop and I don't regret it one bit. Binky is the best thing that ever happened to me no matter where he came from.

Rescue Bun Old Bill

Picture591.jpg

Pet Shop Bun Maggie

Picture926.jpg

and

*dons protective body armour* :roll: :roll:

Breeder's Bun Lord Lopsley

Picture917.jpg

How could I regret offering a home to ANY of them.....
:D :D

Janex

My first rabbits was a pet shop bun, from there all my rabbits have been from pet shops, rescues or breeders. I don't regret paying for any of my buns because I know that they have had the best life I can give them. :D

Don't pet shop buns come from breeders though - so you can't really say some pet shops are OK but breeders are mostly best avoided. :?

I'd have to disagree with you. My first rabbit was from a pet shop and second from a small breeder but i would never buy from a petshop now or a breeder.
It all comes down to supply and demand. If the petshops weren't selling any rabbits then the breeders who supply them wouldn't have any reason to continue breeding. It doesn't matter how responsible they are making sure their rabbits go to good homes as the fact is that thousands of rabbits are sat in rescues waiting for a home and they should be rehomed before bringing more babies into the world.
A lot of healthy rabbits are put to sleep because there are no homes for them.
The ones that end up in rescues are the luckier ones. What about all those that just get dumped or let out on purpose? (my neighbour did this a few years ago)
Also the majority of pet shops give out no advice or bad advice so the rabbit ends up dying young and the owner then replaces it with another baby pet shop bunny that will also not live long. I've had a few people say to me "i used to have rabbits but never had much luck with them, they kept dying"
At least most rescues make sure the rabbit will have a decent size house and correct diet, neutering/spaying and vaccinations in its new home.
Most pet shops are notoriously bad at sexing rabbits and only add to the problem by selling two females that turn out to be a male and female and have a couple of litters or more-
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23832

I will never buy from a pet shop or breeder again while there are rabbits in rescues. They come first in my opinion.

Estelle said:
I'd have to disagree with you. My first rabbit was from a pet shop and second from a small breeder but i would never buy from a petshop now or a breeder.
It all comes down to supply and demand. If the petshops weren't selling any rabbits then the breeders who supply them wouldn't have any reason to continue breeding.

Not all breeers sell to Pet shops. Thats a simple fact. There are only
Estelle said:
so many breeders that sell to pet shops, and you wont find any BRC rabbits in a pet shop. There are a lot more privet breeders than there is pet shop suppliers.

Estelle said:
The ones that end up in rescues are the luckier ones. What about all those that just get dumped or let out on purpose? (my neighbour did this a few years ago)

I never said it was bad to get from a rescue I just believe people shouldn't be slated for deciding to get a bun from a breeder or from the pet shop. They are taking that bun to a good loving home and thats all that should matter. There will always be buns in rescues. There will always be breeders.

Estelle said:
Also the majority of pet shops give out no advice or bad advice so the rabbit ends up dying young and the owner then replaces it with another baby pet shop bunny that will also not live long. I've had a few people say to me "i used to have rabbits but never had much luck with them, they kept dying"

There are some pet shops which give out bad advice, i never said the where all perfect. But If people can't be bothered to research before getting a pet that is their problem, It's not fair on the bun or other pet, because I have heard it happen. Some pet shops are just interested in profet not the welfare of the animals BUT as I said people SHOULDN'T be slated for their choice of pet. As long as the rabbits or pet is going to a nice home it shouldn't matter.

Estelle said:
At least most rescues make sure the rabbit will have a decent size house and correct diet, neutering/spaying and vaccinations in its new home.

Both the rescues I got my rabbits from didn't neuter/spay, vacinate, or hand out any advice on rabbits, they didn't ask me what sort of home they where going to, how big the space would be, they just handed me the rabbit, asked for the money and sent me on our way. Some rescues are as bad as the breeders and Pet shops (No offence to the rescues on here, I know they all do a great job, just pointing out a fact), And I don't drive, and I can't tavel on my own so I can't get to other rescues (That an the fact I cant own another pet right now).

Estelle said:
Most pet shops are notoriously bad at sexing rabbits and only add to the problem by selling two females that turn out to be a male and female and have a couple of litters or more-
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23832

I think you will find, most pet shops go by what the breeder has told them. And I have known a lot of people to get the sex of a rabbit wrong, that is a honest mistake to make, even when I was a breeder I still got it wrong occasionally. There is nothing in the law that says a pet shop owner has to be able to sex their animals. So you can't always blame them for that either.

Estelle said:
I will never buy from a pet shop or breeder again while there are rabbits in rescues. They come first in my opinion.

Thats your opinion and you're entitled to it. And I don't mind if people don't want to buy from a pet shop or breeder. Just as long as they respect the fact that other people DO. :D

Of course, You couldn't regret any of the buns you have, where ever they come from, But i do agree with Estelle, I'd never get a bun from anywhere but a rescue ever, but I think like usual on these threads, we all have to agree to disagree

beckiboo186 said:
Of course, You couldn't regret any of the buns you have, where ever they come from, But i do agree with Estelle, I'd never get a bun from anywhere but a rescue ever, but I think like usual on these threads, we all have to agree to disagree

Yesh, Like I said thats fine, thats your choice but people shouldn't have to put up with hassle from others because they decide to get a bun from a breeder or pet shop.

I don't say you have to agree with me, or that you have to get your buns from breeder or pet shop.

I'm saying people should be allowed to choose where they get their rabbit from, without being slated for it.

I know not all breeders sell to pet shops but who ever they sell to they are still adding to the problem of thousands of unwanted bunnies that are abandoned, neglected and unecessarily put to sleep :(

I know you didn't say it was bad to get a rabbit from a rescue :?
I have never slated anyone that got a pet shop or breeders bunny as I have 2 myself!!!!

All pet shops sell rabbits for profit, there is no other reason! :?

Some rescues are not as responsible as others with regards to neutering and vaccinating. I guess they are trying to help in their own way but a least they don't add to the problem by breeding. Thats why I would only get future rabbits from a responsible rescue and would recommend these rescues to friends and family.

It is very irresponsible for a pet shop to sell two baby female unless they are 100% sure they are correctly sexed. I doubt most people would take them if they were told "we think they are female but not really sure, you might end up with 12 babies but thats your problem not ours"

I respect that people still want to buy from pet shops and breeders as I have done in the past. However having seen the amount of unwanted rabbits needing homes I can't see why anyone would want to encourage more baby bunnies being brought into the world while there are so many unwanted ones already here :( :( :( [/quote]

Lets say everyone neutered/spayed their bunnies. Eventually we would have no rabbits. I will agree that some of the Breeders are silly and are just thinking of the money and they do need to be stopped. But there are some breeders who love they buns awa much as you do who are responsible with what they do like me. When I used to breed I would sell only to the one petshop by me when she asked, because i knew she wouldnt just sell her buns to anyone. And I would make sure everyone knew what they where getting into and if they had any troubles I would take the rabbit back.

I just don't like the way certain people on here have been slated and had nasty PM's for getting a breeder bun.

I was just trying to point out that it is peoples decision as to where they get their buns and they shouldn't get the hassle for wanting to get a bun.

As long as the bun is getting a loving home then thats all that should matter. It's just one less possible bun who could end up in a rescue.

I would say getting from a breeder is better than a petshop. Petshop rabbits generally come from mass-breeders with little consideration from the health or welfare of the rabbits. You don't get to see the parents or the conditions they grew up in. The rabbit already had one big move to get to the petshop and then it has a second going home with you.

A responsible breeder should have a limited number of litters, nice housing which you should be able to see for yourself as well as the parents. They'll be able to tell you the medical history and temperament of your rabbits relatives. They'll give you information and support on caring for your rabbit and shouldn't let you take it home until it's at least 8 weeks old. They won't sell though petshop, they'll want to know and check personally what home their rabbits go to.

Not all petshops are like the first and not all breeders like the second. Which ever you go to though, you are supporting breeders (where do you think petshop bunnies comes from!?). If those are your two options though you need to decide what type of breeder you want to support with your cash?

I you're willing to buy from a petshop then why not look at the free ads. They'll orginally be petshop rabbits but you get to rehome one.

Tam

Squishy said:
There is nothing in the law that says a pet shop owner has to be able to sex their animals. So you can't always blame them for that either.

It is a condition of the licence to sell animals that atleast one member of staff it suitably qualified in the care of the particular type of animal they are selling. So that they can give accurate advise to the purchaser and look after the animals in their care correctly. If they are unwilling/able to learn how to sex the animal I'd argue they probably shouldn't count as qualified.

Tam

I'm an 'evil' breeder. I'm very small scale and can safely say my buns could not physically be happier. They get a run around my huge garden every morning and evening, are in a 8ftx 4.5ft run all day and in a 6ft long hutch at night. They are spoilt with love and affection and have the very best food that costs me a fortune. Each litter causes me a huge loss of money (especially my little angel circe who stopped eating and cost me over £120, even the vet told me to give up, he's now happily living with a great family.)
I only breed from my does twice a year at most and the new owners are pretty much lectured about what I ecpect them to do for them. They're giving a huge care booklet I spent hours making and ensure it is completely correct. I tell new owners they can call me ANYTIME they are worried about ANYTHING no matter how small. The people who come to see my babies are always told to go to a rescue if I don't have what they're looking for. I would NEVER sell to a pet shop.

Not all breeders are evil and I don't care if you think I shouldn't bring more buns into the world when there are homeless ones, but all my babies are happy and healthy and most people who come to buy off me wouldn't go to a centre anyway. I've been to take animals from rescues, and found the local rapca centre to be awfully rude as though they were doing me a favour just answering the phone. I always warn people not to buy from pet shops and to go to rescue centres but some 'rescues are god awful'
I'm done ranting now, just realise you can't paint everyone with the same brush. I agree wholeheartedly with her Squishness (lol)

I don't think anyone has said breeders are evil :? I just think that after looking at the Rabbits in Need section, i would prefer these rabbits go to any available homes rather than someone deliberately bringing more baby rabbits into the world. We obviously have more rabbits than homes available so why make this problem worse? :(
I have no ill wishes towards breeders but I don't agree with it personally.

Yes we can understand what you are saying, but the problem is only so bad because of people thinking they can look after a rabbit and deciding they don't or thinking getting a rabbit would be great and loosing interest.

Most breeders limit their stock to so many litters a year. Or do a "breed on demand" sort of thing. When so many people have paid interest in rabbits, they will have a litter, if they can't rehome them they will keep them.

Some breeders who supply pet shops are good breeders who care about their rabbits and do worry about what life they will have. But if you start to think about where this would all go in the end.

If the petshops stopped selling pets, then the only place to get them would be rescues and breeders.. Well the pet shops are already getting from the breeders so what difference would it make?

If Everyone was suddenly to decid to neuter their rabbits and quit breeding where would the rabbits come from then?

YES there is a lot of unwanted rabbits out there. But for someone in such quiet area as me, who can't drive and couldn't afford to travel very far sometimes the only other option is pet shops or breeders.

And sometimes people are just cutting out the middle man completly and avoiding these buns maybe ending up in a rescue.

But what you all don't seem to understand is what I'm trying to say.

It doesn't matter where the bun comes from. If you don't buy the bun someone else will. There will always be rabbits in rescues who need homes, there will always be rabbits who need homes. The only thing that should matter is not where the individual rabbit comes from but that that individual rabbits gets the best life it's owners can give it. People shouldn't make such a big thing about where a rabbit comes from as long as it is living a happy life.

While those rabbits are in the rescues they are living a happy life, or as happy as the people running the place can make them, YES they need a forever home with someone to take care of them. But there are rabbits out there, in pet shops or with some "bad" breeders who are living a worse life than them rabbits.

*shrug* all I'm saying it people shouldn't be slated for where they choose to get the rabbit from. Not every bun can be saved, its a sad fact but its true. As long as that rabbits getting a chance for a good life it should be all that matters no matter where its from.

Just because some people don't agree with it doesn't mean they should bully others into changing their mind.

I'm not saying you are bullying. And I don't want it to look like I'm trying to change your view on things because I'm not. You have your opinions and that fine, everyones allowed their opinions. I just wanted to voice mine because some of the things I've seen said on this forum because people have decided to get a breeder bun or where trying to get one.

I'm getting my bunny from a breeder in bath,

I feel bad now, its just there are NO bunny rescue centers near me, I promise I thought about getting one from there first, I just didnt think it would be fair driving miles and miles to get a rescue bun, and making it go on a bumpy car journey miles back.

The breeder im getting him from sends me photos all the time and I can meet his mum and dad and granny as well.

Should I be worried??

Help
A confuddled and feeling guilty Jo

This is what I'm trying to say, you shouldn't be guilty for where you are getting your bun from. Be happy that you are getting one and you know they will live a happy healthy life. I can't get buns from rescue because the two on the island rarely have buns in. :D

I understand rescuing a bunny is better as you give it a second chance. I used to work at my Local dogs and Cats home as a volunteer for 4 years, I was heartbreaking seeing some of them come in as newbies, i've lost count of the amount I had to take next door to be PTS. it was horrible seeing a dog drooping his head almost as if he knew what was going to happen. All because people abused and neglected them. the Home i worked in wouldn't put a healthy animal down either. so it was all neglect and abuse that had just gone way too far.

I have bred dogs for years however, and do feel PROPER RESPONSIBLE breeding ensures the welfare of the breeds health.

For example the boxers we have, it has been known for IRRESPONSIBLE MASS breeders to do so that it causes deformities and breather problems. The same as a MASS rabbit breeder causes the problems with the rex's having bad eyesight.

At the end of the day its swings and roundabouts. it would be lovely if neglect didnt go on, as then all the bunnies would be happy. but for people that don't have access to bunny rescues and they want the love of a little velvety nose, peering up at them, a RESPONSIBLE breeder may be the only option.

As I mentioned, I can see generations of my bun, which proves to me that she is a good breeder (she only has 2 litters a year max) and is trying to ensure that health problems etc are kept to a minimun

Does this make any sense??

Jo
xxxxxxxxxx

Back