PDA

View Full Version : Oxbow Pellets-Uncle Albert....What Do You Think???

Jack's-Jane
09-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Righto, after Uncle A's really bad day on Wednesday where he stopped eating anything but a few greens and stopped pooping I have begun to wonder if Oxbow Pellets could have been the culprit rather than an exacerbation of his oral tumour :? I had started to feed him Oxbow rather than SS as the pellets are tiny and he hardly has any molar teeth left. However, I have noticed that when hydrated the oxbow pellets 'swell up' to about 4 times the amount :shock:
So do you think it was the swelling up of the Oxbow Pellets once in Uncle A's tum that made him feel so uncomfortable :? He did not get bloaty and his tum was not obviously tender but eventually became quite gassy .
I did do the change from SS to Oxbow over a few days, maybe more quickly than I'd normally do :oops: Perhaps his old guts could not cope once the Oxbow pellets 'swelled up' :?
Two other Buns, Zack and Lara also had tummy ache after Oxbow :?
Anyways, Uncle A wont be having any more of them. He is happy with the naff cereal mix and at this stage what Bertie wants Bertie gets (EXCEPT OXBOW!!)
:D :D
Janex

sparklefairy
09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
:? it's weird you should say that. I used oxbow pellets around the time of Gypsy's scary tummy trouble :shock: I didn't think that she had eaten much of them as both bunnies didn't seem interested in them. There might be a link between them and Gypsy almost going into statis :? I wonder why some bunnies react badly to them?

Jack's-Jane
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I know its odd cos the Oxbow are meant to be the best, highest fibre and all. But OMG do they expand when mixed with water :shock: Maybe if a bun has sluggish guts anyway the Oxbow takes too long to work its way through and sort of swells up in Buns tum making Bun feel really full and uncomfortable :?
Very strange but am not gonna risk it again. Uncle A cant believe his luck, rubbish Pet Shop food is his fave :roll: :roll:

Janex

LonBun
09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Will he eat is as a slurry, you could just feed less then? I thought it was the end, but Albert strikes back

Adam

donna-arc
09-06-2006, 12:59 PM
We feed Oxbow and I love it. We no longer get rabbits with sticky bums and I have never had a case of upset tummy on it. It is very concentrated though - you literally need an egg cup to a hamster bowl amount, depending on rabbit size. I would suspect that the bunnies have been given too much and made themselves ill.
(Bit like I do on cakes!)

Jack's-Jane
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Will he eat is as a slurry, you could just feed less then? I thought it was the end, but Albert strikes back

Adam

Hi Adam
Uncle A had been eating SS as a slushy mix but went off it. I tried slushy Oxbow (well, I didn't Uncle A did :lol: ) and he was not interested. But he would it eat dry :?
Think I might try him on SS again as if he can eat rubbishy cereal mix he should be able to eat dry SS. Mind you, the old boy has developed a taste for junk food now........ :roll: :roll:

Janex

donna-arc
09-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm wondering if it really matters that you give him the rubbishy stuff that he likes Jane? He only has a limited time, bless him, why not let him have his favourite?
My friend's dad had terminal cancer and his wife wouldn't let him smoke - now she feels really guilty that he could have had a bit more pleasure in his last days. It didn't make a difference to the outcome in Ray's case and I'm sure it won't to Uncle A's. x

Jack's-Jane
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm wondering if it really matters that you give him the rubbishy stuff that he likes Jane? He only has a limited time, bless him, why not let him have his favourite?
My friend's dad had terminal cancer and his wife wouldn't let him smoke - now she feels really guilty that he could have had a bit more pleasure in his last days. It didn't make a difference to the outcome in Ray's case and I'm sure it won't to Uncle A's. x

Thank-you. I KNOW he is on borrowed time.......

Janex

LonBun
09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I agree. Albert, being Albert, will probably thrive on it. Junk Bun food isnt as bad as fags! As ever an excellent photo of him. I am sure there is a book of your photos in you.

Adam

Jayney
10-06-2006, 12:13 PM
i think i would give in to Uncle Alberts junk food cravings, although it may not be the best quality for him at least he will eat it

MoBunny
10-06-2006, 11:26 PM
hi,

mine wouldn't touch them infact turned their nose up BIG TIME :lol: :lol:

Maureen