• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow Pellets-Uncle Albert....What Do You Think???

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Righto, after Uncle A's really bad day on Wednesday where he stopped eating anything but a few greens and stopped pooping I have begun to wonder if Oxbow Pellets could have been the culprit rather than an exacerbation of his oral tumour :? I had started to feed him Oxbow rather than SS as the pellets are tiny and he hardly has any molar teeth left. However, I have noticed that when hydrated the oxbow pellets 'swell up' to about 4 times the amount :shock:
So do you think it was the swelling up of the Oxbow Pellets once in Uncle A's tum that made him feel so uncomfortable :? He did not get bloaty and his tum was not obviously tender but eventually became quite gassy .
I did do the change from SS to Oxbow over a few days, maybe more quickly than I'd normally do :oops: Perhaps his old guts could not cope once the Oxbow pellets 'swelled up' :?
Two other Buns, Zack and Lara also had tummy ache after Oxbow :?
Anyways, Uncle A wont be having any more of them. He is happy with the naff cereal mix and at this stage what Bertie wants Bertie gets (EXCEPT OXBOW!!)
:D :D
Janex

:? it's weird you should say that. I used oxbow pellets around the time of Gypsy's scary tummy trouble :shock: I didn't think that she had eaten much of them as both bunnies didn't seem interested in them. There might be a link between them and Gypsy almost going into statis :? I wonder why some bunnies react badly to them?

I know its odd cos the Oxbow are meant to be the best, highest fibre and all. But OMG do they expand when mixed with water :shock: Maybe if a bun has sluggish guts anyway the Oxbow takes too long to work its way through and sort of swells up in Buns tum making Bun feel really full and uncomfortable :?
Very strange but am not gonna risk it again. Uncle A cant believe his luck, rubbish Pet Shop food is his fave :roll: :roll:

Janex

Will he eat is as a slurry, you could just feed less then? I thought it was the end, but Albert strikes back

Adam

We feed Oxbow and I love it. We no longer get rabbits with sticky bums and I have never had a case of upset tummy on it. It is very concentrated though - you literally need an egg cup to a hamster bowl amount, depending on rabbit size. I would suspect that the bunnies have been given too much and made themselves ill.
(Bit like I do on cakes!)

LonBun said:
Will he eat is as a slurry, you could just feed less then? I thought it was the end, but Albert strikes back

Adam

Hi Adam
Uncle A had been eating SS as a slushy mix but went off it. I tried slushy Oxbow (well, I didn't Uncle A did :lol: ) and he was not interested. But he would it eat dry :?
Think I might try him on SS again as if he can eat rubbishy cereal mix he should be able to eat dry SS. Mind you, the old boy has developed a taste for junk food now........ :roll: :roll:

Janex

I'm wondering if it really matters that you give him the rubbishy stuff that he likes Jane? He only has a limited time, bless him, why not let him have his favourite?
My friend's dad had terminal cancer and his wife wouldn't let him smoke - now she feels really guilty that he could have had a bit more pleasure in his last days. It didn't make a difference to the outcome in Ray's case and I'm sure it won't to Uncle A's. x

donna-arc said:
I'm wondering if it really matters that you give him the rubbishy stuff that he likes Jane? He only has a limited time, bless him, why not let him have his favourite?
My friend's dad had terminal cancer and his wife wouldn't let him smoke - now she feels really guilty that he could have had a bit more pleasure in his last days. It didn't make a difference to the outcome in Ray's case and I'm sure it won't to Uncle A's. x

Thank-you. I KNOW he is on borrowed time.......

Janex

I agree. Albert, being Albert, will probably thrive on it. Junk Bun food isnt as bad as fags! As ever an excellent photo of him. I am sure there is a book of your photos in you.

Adam

i think i would give in to Uncle Alberts junk food cravings, although it may not be the best quality for him at least he will eat it

Back