• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ripping up newspaper

caritas2006

Warren Scout
My little mini lop has got in a habbit of ripping up newspaper i don't think she eats it should i take all the paper out and putting something different in her cage

No i would'nt worry at all. I think its common for buns to rip up their paper. They just like to make more mess for you to clean :lol:

Thats ok i don't mind the extra work I just get woke up at 4am sometimes as she has to have her cage in my bedroom untill i move into my flat

But she is worth it and all I do is put some music on my headphones

newspaper

my bunny Harley absolutley adores when the newspapers come and loves ripping them to sheds. they loves it, its a bit like digging

newspaper

its the only toy my Harley likes. he shuns all shop bought toys, but give him a bit of newspaper and he is really happy! oh and strangley bath towels! he loves fighting them!

Don't worry, buns love ripping up newspaper. It's Millie's favourite game, she can shred a whole newspaper in about 5 minutes. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mine dont bother with their newspaper.. they prefer to eat toilet rolls or cardboard boxes :roll:

My bun loves ripping up the newspaper in his hutch!!! In other words, he loves DESTROYING his hutch!! :roll: :roll: :lol:

I have some concern when they do that. And I spoke to a vet about it. There is chemical in those newspaper, if they eat them, thru time, chemical got in their sys., which can cause cancer.

There is a seal in a zoo who died due to excessive copper in his sys., as they do a PM, they found hundreds of penny inside him, as he has been eating the penny that people threw in the pond.

The right solution is to give them chew wood instead of magazine or newspaper. I got rid of any of those paper that my rabbit can find. On rare occasion, at the spot that she pee, she can find some magazine paper to chew on, but I stopped her whenever I see her do it.

If you have to use paper, get Un-Treated Paper, as in no chemical deposit paper, i.e., brown paper, like the grocery brown bag you have. Those paper has very little chemical (if any), and should be safe.

But I just hold the chew wood near my bunny's mouth, and she likes to chew it, once every few days.

Bob used to love chewing on shredded paper, he seemed to prefer it to his hay, but now he's a bit older he doesn't do it so much, preffering just to rip it to shreds instead.

He can be a real odd ball, sometimes he'll go for days without touching the newspaper in his cage and then rip it to shreds in mad frenzy. Other times he'll go for it as soon as I've cleaned the age out and put fresh paper in there. It's almost as if he's been waiting for a fresh supply of the Sun!!!

Back