• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear guard????

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
im sure thats what its called anyway!! its that time of the year again and there are soooo many flies about!! all my bunnies are indoors, and unfortunately never get to go outside :( but flystrike still worries me!!

as i have mentioned before, my first ever bunny died from flystrike when i was younger. i didnt know what it was at the time, didnt even know it existed! this bunny, Minky also had problems "down there" and the stupid vets STILL didnt mention the risks of flystrike to us :evil: and she was an outside bunny :evil: if i had known of anyway to prevent this i would have done it! i still miss my special little girl :(

im pretty sure Rear guard is supposed to prevent it? im just wondering what it does exactly? how long it lasts? how much of a can/bottle would do one bunny? and would it be worth me getting it for my lot?

Thanks in advance! :D

Hiya! This has been covered fairly recently if you do a search :wink:

The main points though - rearguard is a bit like one of those liquid shoe polish things, you apply it to your bunny via an applicator, it makes them wet so only do it on a nice warm day! It prevents fly eggs from hatching into maggots, I seem to recall it lasts 8-12 weeks (might be wrong). It's prescription only and because it is chemical based, it is usually only recommended for high risk rabbits, e.g. those with sticky bum problems, overweight, disabled etc. I'm not sure on exact mechanism or cost but I think it's about £15 a pop and a tub does one average sized bunny.

I just did my bunny, didnt use a whole pot though, didnt realise i was meant to :oops:
I dont really know that much, my vet recomended it to me, my bun doesnt have problems down there, but dito my 1st bun got fly strike to, i think prevention is better than cure.

pepsi said:
I just did my bunny, didnt use a whole pot though, didnt realise i was meant to :oops:
I dont really know that much, my vet recomended it to me, my bun doesnt have problems down there, but dito my 1st bun got fly strike to, i think prevention is better than cure.

Are you really supposed to use a whole tub?? :shock:

I only used enough to make Esmerelda's fur wet. Am going to go and see what it says on the bottle.

edited to say: yes it does say one bottle is a single application...
Thanks Alison will go and put the rest on.

Can you persuade your buns to use a litter tray? It keeps everything in one easy-to-clean place.
I think it is olny buns who have messy bottoms who are likely to be affected by flystrike as the flies have to lay eggs in the stuck-on poo and then they have to hatch and thats when the problems start.
Checking bottoms once a day should put your mind at rest

Louisa

Some buns find it hard to clean themselves- Esmerelda has malclussion and although she never has a messy bum i just put it on as a precaution.

She also hates being picked up and will kick and fight violently, so in my case i think its best to use this.

:oops: I best put the rest on when i get home!
Hello Loulouembers, my name Louisa to! Not a very common name :D

rear guard

hi there im new to this site today but have to say its really helpful!
i bought Rear Guard the other day for my rabbit Harley, it was about £10.00 and it lasts 10 weeks and the vet highly reccommended it. was a bit tricky to put on, involved me holding him and my mum squeezing it on and it doesnt come out very easily, but its meant to work and prevention is better than cure. especially now the flies are out in force in this heat.

Nicola

Back