• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you agree with this...

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
I took Dillon to the vets, and the vet was giving me advice on rabbit care and feeding etc...

She said that I should just feed all the buns a teaspoon a day of pellets, and the rest should be hay.

A TEASPOON!?

Surely this can't be right??

Rats are supposed to eat a tablespoon of food a day so that can't be right :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have to say that I do agree!! A healthy ADULT rabbit does not really need pellet feed AT ALL . The ideal diet for a healthy adult Bun is unlimited GOOD QUALITY hay, water and a variety of Veggies daily.
Am trying to wean all my healthy adults off pellet feed at the mo'. Most of them just go on to pig out on more hay which is exactly what I want them to do.
However, if a Bun is a poor hay eater and no variety can tempt him/her to eat more then obviously more pellet feed will be needed.
My ideal would be to have all my healthy adults on a hay/veggie ONLY diet
:D :D
Janex

What's the point of giving them a teaspoon full though, why not just give them none - is it for the probiotic? :?

Aliandbuns said:
What's the point of giving them a teaspoon full though, why not just give them none - is it for the probiotic? :?

Its called BRIBERY!!
We need something to get our Buns to go into their house when they dont want too!!
:lol: :lol:

Janex

Mine would leave too :lol:
They have a handful each in the mornings and they go mad for it, I'd be soo guilty if I stopped giving them pellets, they'd look at me with their big brown eyes and go 'FEED US NOW!!!!!" :lol:

I think someone should tell my rts they should only eat a teaspoon of food each a day though it does make sense why they're fat :oops: :lol:

Because a lot of mine seem to be underweight on the Hay and Veggie diet everyone gets two tablespoons of pellets each but thats it

My two that need masses of mental stimulation over night get treat balls and I think you can fit about 4 tablespoons of feed in them :?

I never measured my Ratss food when I had rats :cry: which was until about five hours ago :cry:

I don't think you'd get SS on a teaspoon, maybe 2 pelets? You sure she didn't mean tablespoon? A tablespoon or two should be enough for a healthy rabbit.

Tam

Jack's-Jane said:
I have to say that I do agree!! A healthy ADULT rabbit does not really need pellet feed AT ALL . The ideal diet for a healthy adult Bun is unlimited GOOD QUALITY hay, water and a variety of Veggies daily.
Am trying to wean all my healthy adults off pellet feed at the mo'. Most of them just go on to pig out on more hay which is exactly what I want them to do.
However, if a Bun is a poor hay eater and no variety can tempt him/her to eat more then obviously more pellet feed will be needed.
My ideal would be to have all my healthy adults on a hay/veggie ONLY diet
:D :D
Janex

I like this. This is gonna save me £13.50 a week. I'm IN!!!! Course - no bun is gonna be talking to me......

Tamsin said:
I don't think you'd get SS on a teaspoon, maybe 2 pelets? You sure she didn't mean tablespoon? A tablespoon or two should be enough for a healthy rabbit.

Tam

I did say TEASPOON?!?! :shock: and she said yes?!

She said I should try to get them off pellets altogether... I don't think Dillon would be fussed as he's not developed a liking for SS, but Teddy and Bertie would get me!

OMG...my two are now both on SS and I have been giving a handful in the morning and evening ... and the dish is always empty.

I had been thinking I wasnt giving them enough but reading this thread I have been giving too much :shock: :shock:

The get loads of hay and veggies too.

They do love their SS, I am going to feel awful if I cut that right back.

Deb x

I must say truffy doesn't get any pellet food any more. She was over weight and my Vet's told me that the problem was the Russell rabbit food I was feeding. She just has veggies in the morning/evening and enough hay to feed a small army of bunnies :lol:

Back