• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poor linden.

colliewoman

Mama Doe
i tried to post his yesterday as i wanted someone to hold my hand :(
anyhoo i'm going to post it now and the update in one go so's you know whats been happening incase i need some help/advice later!

yesterday.....

my linden is not a happy bunny :(
he still isnt eating much at all and is still doing tiny poos.
he has had 2 courses of prepulsid which have improved things a little but he is now losing weight that he doesnt really have to lose.
we went back to the vets today and although he still has a small spur the vet doesnt think it is enough to cause his lack of appetite.
the choice was a GA and a dental,or another course of prepulsid. the vet wasnt sure if the spur alone was enough to warrant the GA but we need to do something or he is going to be seriously ill.
si i decided to go ahead with the GA and have him neutered at the same time so he hopefully wont have to have another one soon.
he is staying the night at the vets:( as i have to work tomorrow and if i go in late i will have to stay late and i want to be there when he is recovering fron the op.
i feel really pants as i feel i'm putting him through all this and it might not be the reason he isnt eating, and if i'm wrong he might get even worse :(

and todays...

i just picked him up and he is reasonably perky, he ate a pile of dandelions for the vet last night but has eaten nothing since he came round from the op.
they have syringe fed him and i have to continue with it till he starts eating on his own.
the neutering went smoothly and they have done his teeth, though they said that once he was under and they were able to have a good look they werent too bad, no soreness anywhere :?
anyone have any ideas? if its not his teeth causing him to have no appetite what else could it be?
please keep all fingers and paws crossed for my little guy!

if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me i would be very greatfull!

on the upside after being quoted between £85 and £120 just for the dental work, i was very pleased when the total bill for the dental work, meds, neutering and an overnight stay came to £96.
bless my vet :D
i am soooooo pleased it has taken my workplace so long to sort out our payrise, asn now i get the backpay on the 20th which will cover this bill entirely, and the vets are happy to wait till payday for their pennies, phew!

i am going to put up my greenhouse this weekend so i can start growing some plants and herbs to sell at boot sales to help towards the bills :roll:

Aw poor Linden.
I think it sounds like he just needs a bit more time before you see any improvement. I've heard their mouths can be a bit sore after having molars done so that may also affect his eating for a couple of days.

I wonder if the heat has anything to do with his appetite loss? I pressume you've tried tasty things like oats etc?

Not sure if you remember but I posted about Belle not eating her pellets last week. Well I took her to the vets who said her molars were not good but not terrible either. She had them done yesterday under GA and today she has eaten a few pellets, so perhaps this offers some hope for Linden too.

Hope he is much better soon x

ps. Don't feel bad, you're doing everything you can for him, and i think it was the right decision to have a dental done, particularily as you combined it with his neuter.

linden still hasnt eaten anything yet :(
i think i caught him having a sip of water out of his bowl a little while ago.
no wee or poo yet though :(
should i syringe feed him some food or water or should i leave it a while longer? if i syringe him how much of each should he have?
i'm so worried about my poor boy, i feel like i've made things a million times worse :(

I would just syringe some fluids into him at first. Camomile Tea is good if you have any. If he has access to some veg/dandelion leaves he will hopefully start to nibble at them during the night.
Fluids wise I'd try to get at least 20mls into him. But if he gets very stressed just give as much as he will take.
Janex

thanks jane, i was hoping you might catch this!
i will try syringing him with some cooled boiled water, as i dont have any herbal teas at all and i dont think he would like earl grey :lol: :lol:
i do hope he starts to eat overnight as i have to go to work tomorrow :(
my bosses are very good though and will let me pop back if i need to (i only live around the corner).

it makes me mad when the vets say..oh it doesnt warrant burring but you know yoyr bun and their eating habits..

oscar was terrible and the vet couldnt understand why he was displaying signs of severe dental trouble..so in the end she said he might be worse than she could see but his mouth was just a little red looking.
she did the dental..usually he gets metacam but i told her i had some that was still ok..anyhoo he was awful..wouldnt eat or drink etc and didnt fare as well as he did last timee

i felt awful when i was told his mouth wasnt even particularly sore..
We fed him purreed baby food..fruit..and carot..and tried watery recovery in a syringe
Dont yell about the baby food..ot saved my old does life when she wouldnt eat.

we also syringed in some water..but his mood was awful..

a few days later..like 48hrs..he was caught lapping up recovery off a saucer in his cage and he was eating hay. Within no time he was fine and we got down to bonding them again..

now hes been with Bif for ages and so far so good..its all the hay hes eating and change of diet to scince selective.

pain makes them so miserable..and this heat makes them so ill..it does me!

try some parsley..its a great tonic and stimulates the appetite.

well.....
last night at about midnight i found a caecotroph (sp?) in his litter tray.
this morning he had eaten some of the softer greens i had picked for him :D and had a wee and done some more poos!
i chopped up a bowl full of green hay for him and he has picked through that and eaten some :D
he has eaten the small amount of greens i gave him this morning, and i have given him some more now. he has done some more poos and left a couple more c-poos.
i am hoping beyond hope that this is all looking good and it was his teeth putting him off his food.
i am also hoping that in 6 weeks time i can bond him with the babes, i'm sure a bit of competition for food will help as well.

on a different note, the lady at the vets who homed robbie rabbit from me has asked if she can have one of his sisters too, as she is getting her shed converted and now wants 2 pairs of buns, so instead of having robbie make up a trio he is going to have a sister back to snuggle with :D
hopefully their shed will be ready for when he has been neutered and he is 'safe'. after seeing piccies of robbie flopped out on the sofa and destroying their newspapers i am so pleased that she wants another bun!

colliewoman said:
well.....
last night at about midnight i found a caecotroph (sp?) in his litter tray.
this morning he had eaten some of the softer greens i had picked for him :D and had a wee and done some more poos!
i chopped up a bowl full of green hay for him and he has picked through that and eaten some :D
he has eaten the small amount of greens i gave him this morning, and i have given him some more now. he has done some more poos and left a couple more c-poos.
i am hoping beyond hope that this is all looking good and it was his teeth putting him off his food.
i am also hoping that in 6 weeks time i can bond him with the babes, i'm sure a bit of competition for food will help as well.

on a different note, the lady at the vets who homed robbie rabbit from me has asked if she can have one of his sisters too, as she is getting her shed converted and now wants 2 pairs of buns, so instead of having robbie make up a trio he is going to have a sister back to snuggle with :D
hopefully their shed will be ready for when he has been neutered and he is 'safe'. after seeing piccies of robbie flopped out on the sofa and destroying their newspapers i am so pleased that she wants another bun!

thats great news!

It may be the heat donna, thats a good point. Tocho used to get very floppy in the summer but was better when i chopped most of his excess fur off! and I've just done huslu's summer clip (ie scalped! :shock: ) and he is so much happier too, maybe a trim would perk him up? :D

vicki, any tips on clipping rabbits? do you use scissors or clippers?
i may leave it just a few days though as i dont want to stres him. i'm going to fill some bottles with water and freeze and see if he lays near them, do you think that would help a bit?

Back