• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Multiple sclerosis charities and testing

Bryn666

Young Bun
Hiya my uncle is very ill with MS and I've just been asked by my aunt to sponsor her doing a walk or something. Not sure which ms charity it is didn't ask, just kind of changed the subject, but I don't want to sponsor if the charity tests on animals, don't suppose anyone as a list on which MS charities test and which don't. I'm in a bit of an awkward position, but I don't want to support the buns being tested on.

Please help.

Righto. According to my list the Multiple Sclerosis Society of GB and NI DOES use animal testing :x
So do these who are likely to be involved with MS research:
The Myelin Project
Brain Research Trust
Remedi for Relief of Disability.

Cant find ANY on my list of OK Charities :(

Janex

Hello. I have MS too.

I'm very apprehensive of the results of the research the charities do - i.e. i don't know if I would morally be able to accept treatment if I don't agree with research methods.

I'm against animal testing, but

- do you take tablets when you have a headache? Or when you have an infection?
Most of the medicines and techniques doctors use have been tested on animals.

I suppose the decision has got to be based on can the end justify the means??

There will be some who say never and some who say sometimes - it needs careful thought - while I don't want animals to have to suffer for my sake I acknowledge that a lot of life threatening illnesses can now successfully be treated because of the research

I don't think you'll find an MS charity that doesn't test on animals though - due to the nature of the research.

Whilst I disagree with testing on animals, I have to also say that many of the advances we have in health care today have resulted from tests on both animals and on humans. If it was not for this many of us would be in a worse state of health or have incurable diseases or no longer be around.

Many of the small charities like the MS society do not just do reasearch into the disease and trying to find out drug treatments. They also work to educate and support sufferers and their carers about the disease process and things they can do to help slow down the progress of the condition, they also work to help advise about assisitance which can be obtained. The research they do using animals is a very minute part of their work.

You could support a hospice charity instead which looks after people in the last stages of terminal illness.

Sorry - but I couldn't trade 1000s of animal lives for my own or a loved one.

Yeah I agree, I wonder how I can put it without offending them. They always sponsor my bunny stuff and come to the quiz night for honeybunny, I feel so bad not supporting them, but I can't give money for that, I wont forgive myself if I do.

Yep, if it's an issue for you then go for a support charity. I'm sure there are lots that don't have any involvement with looking into treatments.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Yep, if it's an issue for you then go for a support charity. I'm sure there are lots that don't have any involvement with looking into treatments.

Tam

Yeah I will have a search for one :D

It is unbelievably hard to find a charity like that that doesn't test on animals, but I'm sure they are out there.

My mum has MS also. I didn't know that they did test on animals, so that is a bit surprising. But, most charities like that do unfourtunatly!

xxx

Back