• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Spay Problem!!

Dorothy

Alpha Buck
Just thought I would let people know what has happened with Violet today. Some of you may remember her as the Eastbourne bunny that I got through Holly-Go-Lightly in 2004.
Violet has been fine since then. I got her spayed in October 2004. This last week she went off her food and was not her usual self. The vet was not convinced it was a dental problem although she did have some very slightly overgrown molars. While examining her she found what felt like a small lump above the bladder area. Violet was x-rayed and scanned but the results just showed a small area that was slightly enlarged where the stump of the womb would be after her spay.
She was admitted for ops, as after her dental she was still not eating properly and it was considered the next step to open her up and have a look inside to see if the slightly enlarged stump could be a source of problem. The vet said it could possibly be the start of a tumour but it was hard to tell.
It turned out to be an abcess on the womb stump. The vet was surprised to find this happening so long after she had been spayed. It was not what he had expected to find.
Just thought I would post that this is something that can happen long after a doe has been spayed as it is something else to watch out for. The only symptoms were her not wanting to eat as much as usual but otherwise she showed no signs of pain or discomfort. Luckily my vet did a thorough exam of her and found the little lump, it could have been so easily missed had she just gone with her teeth being slightly overgrown.

Violet is recovering now and should be back to normal in a few days. She is on Metacam and Septrin.

Yes, I too have encountered this problem with one of my Does. Although it was about 7-8 months after her spay. Also, I feel that the use of an inappropriate suture material for internal sutures (cat-gut) was a contributory factor. The Bun had two more op's but sadly passed away after the second one due to adhesions forming after 3 lots of abdominal surgery :cry:
This is, however a very rare event after a spay and in my opinion (UNQUALIFIED) should not deter people from spaying their Does.
Janex

My vet did say that shortly after a spay some bunnies can have an adverse reaction to cat-gut sutures and infection can set in. But in Violets case he has no idea why she should get an abcess almost two years after spay. Just one of those rare things.
She is not looking too bright this morning. I've given her some Dandylion leaves and she has barely picked at them. Off to give her her meds now and hoping she picks up a bit as the day goes on. Will get a pile of herbs frrom Tesco to see if any tempt her. She is not interested in her usual greens. I may have to start syringe feeding her.

Poor Violet. Hopefully she will start to feel better as the day progresses. I have found that if I have a very poorly Bun just giving oral fluids helps a bit. I give mild camomile and spearmint tea. To me it tastes revolting but my Buns like it!!
Sending lots of healing vibes to Violet.
Janex

Just had a horrible shock. I went to check on Josephine my 6 year old Agouti. She had a dental on tuesday and was recovering normaly. I found her dead....it must have literaly just happened as she was fine earlier.
Bless her she was always such a nervy bunny. I can't believe she's gone. She was just streched out like she did when she went to sleep :cry: .
I'm going to have to compose myself as I have to go to work for a few hours this afternoon.

Dorothy said:
Just had a horrible shock. I went to check on Josephine my 6 year old Agouti. She had a dental on tuesday and was recovering normaly. I found her dead....it must have literaly just happened as she was fine earlier.
Bless her she was always such a nervy bunny. I can't believe she's gone. She was just streched out like she did when she went to sleep :cry: .
I'm going to have to compose myself as I have to go to work for a few hours this afternoon.

Oh Dorothy how terrible, I am so sorry :cry:
Josephine must have passed over very quickly and hopefully peacefully.
Maybe it was her wee heart.
:cry: :cry:
Janex
(AKA 'SuperMuppet')

Thanks Jane.

Violet has eaten some apple, dandylion leaves and herbs and is looking more with it now. She is going for a post-op check tomorrow. And I'll have a word with him about Josephine too. I still can't believe how quickly she left me.

Dorothy, I am so sorry about Josephine :( :cry: :cry: Hopefully she went quickly and peacefully to the Bridge - but that doesn't stop the pain that you feel :cry: :cry:
Run free in the eternal sunshine now darling one - have fun with all your new friends and play in the long lush grass - xxxx

Positive and healing vibes being sent to Violet - xxxx

Back