• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Franky disabled?

thelma

Young Bun
Hello!
I've recently bought a bunny:

af512b31.jpg

He's my first rabbit and I'm a bit concerned about him :oops:

1. He kind of sticks his neck out and bobs it up and down a lot, it looks like he's searching for something....
2. He seems to dribble a lot...
3. He keeps sneezing
4. uh, sometimes he leaps up vertically, and kinda shivers!?

When we got him he was very bony, but he's not anymore. He's eating pets at home pellets for dwarf rabbts and young rabbits [what he was eating before] and timothy hay.

He bites my arm too, like he's nuzzling...I'm not sure why.
Ive only had him 10 days, should I be worried? does he need a vet?

First of all, Welcome to the forum, your bunny is a Magpie Harlequin and he/she's gorgeous :love:

thelma said:
1. He kind of sticks his neck out and bobs it up and down a lot, it looks like he's searching for something....

I'm not sure about this one :?

thelma said:
2. He seems to dribble a lot...
Take him to a vet, he may have teeth problems

thelma said:
3. He keeps sneezing
Vets again, he could have a disease called Pasturella

thelma said:
Sounds like a Binky to me, Bunnies do this when they are happy

thelma said:
When we got him he was very bony, but he's not anymore. He's eating pets at home pellets for dwarf rabbts and young rabbits [what he was eating before] and timothy hay.

He bites my arm too, like he's nuzzling...I'm not sure why.
Ive only had him 10 days, should I be worried? does he need a vet?

I would take him to the vet to be checked out and get his first vaccinations and maybe discuss getting him neutered and find him a friend

I've just taken this off of our reference section:

Scanning/Tracking

This isn't actual a health problem. It?s a behavioural trait some Rabbits will show. It's when they rock or sway their head from side to side to get a better look at close up objects. More commonly seen in pink/red-eyed Rabbits. If your Rabbit is a scanner they will regularly do it. If your Rabbit has suddenly adopted this behaviour it may be a sign of a problem and a Vet trip is in order.

And yet, this indeed is a binky :D Dont worry about this at all, rabbits do this when they are happy.

Here, I've found this:

The happiest rabbit expression is commonly called a "binky." It's impossible to mistake for anything else, and the first time you see one you will probably wonder if the poor thing is having a convulsion. When a rabbit binkies, it jumps into the air and twists its head and body in opposite directions (sometimes twice) before falling back to the ground. This can be done while standing in one place, or while running, which is really weird looking, and is sometimes called the "happy bunny dance." A rabbit can even turn 180o in midair. All this is a rabbit's way of telling you straight out that it is happy and overall pleased with you and its life. Some rabbits binky a lot and some hardly at all, even if they are being treated well. Everyone has their own temperment.

A common variation, which you can easily do too, is the half-binky, also called a head flick or ear flick. Instead of twisting the whole body, just the head is quickly turned sideways and back. This is still a pretty impressive sight in a creature with ears longer than its head! A head flick can be performed while running, or when sitting in place. A head flick is similar in meaning to a shudder, but is a little more playful and silly. It differs in presentation from the "I'd rather not" ear wobble, because it's much faster and often includes a slight rearing up by lifting the front feet.

As for everything else, he needs to see a vet. Since he was so skinny he probably has a bunch of other problems too.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

xxx

wow poor franky :( I'll make an appointment with the vet. I'm a bit annoyed the pet shop is allowed to sell sick animals....

At least he's happy though :D he keeps binkying, I'm glad I didn't turn up at the vet and ask if he was disabled because of it :oops: :oops:

thanks for the help:)

thelma said:
At least he's happy though :D he keeps binkying, I'm glad I didn't turn up at the vet and ask if he was disabled because of it :oops: :oops:

We all have to start off knowing nothing, You'll be an expert within a few months visiting here!! :D xx

went to the vets yesterday and she said his teeth are fine, and gave me some septrin for his sneezing and when that stops he can have his injections and get neutered :)

Back