• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you Have a Pregnant Bun spayed?

Would you Have a Pregnant Bun spayed?

• Yes - it's better in the long run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on situation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
If you suspected a bunny to be pregnant, would you have her booked in for an emergency spay?

When it was first suggested to me with my own bunny around Christmas - I was horrified! I'm all pro-choice for humans, but it seemed heartless to make the decision for a little bunny girl. My bunny, turned out to be not pregnant (phew!) - I learnt my lesson about having un-neutered buns in same house & got them all neutered/spayed ASAP. However, since then I've had a girl-y bun spayed who probably was pregnant, & I'm about to do it again. Both buns are Free ad buns, - one went to live with a friend of mine, so I still see her. The second one is pulling at my heart strings a little - Princess Fluff (She's so pretty, - Bunnymadhouse's sister thought she might be a cashmere X). She's eventually going to a Rescue - & I know she'd be better off not having a (third) litter. I don't ever want the responsibility of baby buns, & I know The Big Picture, it's better if they were never born. It just strikes me as strange how my own attitude has changed so much in so little time, so just wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts were.

i haven't voted - Im not really sure of the health risks involved with spaying a pregnant bunny...if the risks were no more than a bunny that wasn't pregnant i probably would, only because i would have no room/time for more rabbits and i know i would not want to give them up.

I think it depends on the situation.

If this girl has already had 2 litters, is it really fair, and is she strong enough to have a third?

Although you are pro choice for humans, this bunny didn't really have a say in whether she got pregnant in the first place!

Then obviously, you've got the babies to consider, getting them re-homed and all.

I hope this doesn't make me sound heartless, but if a vet thinks its safe, and there is no higher risk than usual, I'd probably be inclined to have her speyed?

lynda_m said:
I think it depends on the situation.

If this girl has already had 2 litters, is it really fair, and is she strong enough to have a third?

Although you are pro choice for humans, this bunny didn't really have a say in whether she got pregnant in the first place!

Then obviously, you've got the babies to consider, getting them re-homed and all.

I hope this doesn't make me sound heartless, but if a vet thinks its safe, and there is no higher risk than usual, I'd probably be inclined to have her speyed?

She's getting spayed - for all the reasons you just said - but I'm just surprised at how 5 months ago, I wouldn't have even considered it!

I personally wouldn’t get a pregnant Rabbit spayed unless I knew exactly when she was mated and I would try to get her spayed within one/two days of the mating. Any later then this and I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it as its not the babies fault they have been created and they deserve a chance of life as any other Rabbit does.

Louise

considering how many rabbits are in rescues and how many are put to sleep just because there aren't enough homes for them I would spay a rabbit i thought had got pregnant if it had just happened. I'm not sure I could do it if she was in late pregnancy though :(

I think it depends how pregnant she is. I couldn't do it anyway but as you said I think you're opinion changes when you are faced with the situation.

For me it depends on how pregnant, if the babies are already well developed then I wouldn't do it, but if they hadn't formed yet and the vet thought it was safe to do so then I'd do it

if it was very very early then yes i would, if she was a few weeks gone then no i wouldnt, same with dogs really, many rescues will spay a dog if they are thought to be pregnant, theres just not enough homes for them all.

I wouldn't, but perhaps in a few years after being swamped by unwanted baby buns I will change my mind :?

I had a doe deliver two still born babies and the vet wouldn't spay her for several weeks afterwards because of the increased blood supply to the area, surely the extra risk applies to a pregnant doe too.

The best thing is for people to be more careful with their rabbits, and get them neutered beofre this situation crops up.

like others have said, I think it depends on how far gone she is, but then you have to weigh up the risks of multiple pregnancies and whether you are in a position to keep all the babies or are they going to add to the rescue population.

I vote "depends". If I'd just seen her mating, because there's a possibility she could be pregnant subsequent to that mating I'd get her done. If I was told she was pregnant but it was unknown how far "in" she was, I'd let her carry them full term.

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
I vote "depends". If I'd just seen her mating, because there's a possibility she could be pregnant subsequent to that mating I'd get her done. If I was told she was pregnant but it was unknown how far "in" she was, I'd let her carry them full term.

AMETHYST

I agree.

I get a lot of people contact me because their girl has got in with a boy or they didn't realise they had a pair. I'm always slightly worried about the reaction when I explain the option of getting the bun spayed as I know if gets a lot of strong opinion when it comes to humans.

As far as I'm aware their is no more risk spaying early in pregnany than there is in spaying usually or indeed in letting the pregnacy progress. I think vets will usually only spay in the first week or so.

Alot of the time it seems like the female is only a baby herself and you also have to keep in mind pregnacy is much more risky for a rabbit than a human. It's not like the bunny got a choice in getting pregant :)

I think spaying to stop a potential pregnancy is better in the long term for the mother. The difficulty in findinng good homes even for babies just adds to that.

Tam

I would get them spayed anyway. Unless you have seen them mate it is impossible to know how far gone in a pregnancy they are. If ever I get any females in that have been kept in with males I get them spayed straight away as a priority. There have been a few occasions when babies have been found during a spay but my vet carrys on anyway. The last one was Latte who would have presented me with 7 little bundles of joy, as lovely as they would have been it would have meant 7 more bunnies to try and find homes for. I even had a female spayed at 13 1/2 weeks as she had been left in with her brothers. Im afraid I wont take any chances, bunnies can be difficult enough to rehome as it is without adding dozens more :roll:

I voted yes. The poor rabbits body must be completely exhausted, i would rather save her life. A rabbit is in season just about continuously from march till october, similar to a cat, this increases the bodies ability to always reproduce. A pregnant spey in a rabbit or cat is no more risky than an animal in season, and nearly every cat or rabbit we spey during these time scales is in season. As long as you have confidance in your vet, your rabbit im sure will be fine.

Back