• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm a bad bunny Mum Sorry I need a moan!

Jayne

Mama Doe
Sorry everyone i just feel I need to get it off my chest then maybe I won't feel so tearful and such a bad bunny Mum! Gabbie had to have her back teeth done a month ago and we've just got back from a follow up appt and the vet said they look as if they going again! It was a vet I'd never seen before and she was very rough when she dragged Gab out of the pet carrier then told me she had to eat loads of hay,green veg and grass which I have no problem with her telling me as I'm always open to advice but her tone implied that she thought it was our fault! I told her she has unlimited hay,some veg and a few SS pellets and hours on the grass but she didn't really listen and like I said made me feel awful,in fact my poor little girl cried in the car as she'd been so abrupt and she thought we weren't treating them right.Sorry to have rambled on but I just needed some reassurance that it's not my fault really.Thanks for reading.

If you feel that unhappy change vet..or insist your appointment is with a vet you like at that surgery.....hope you're feeling a bit better now

Oh no, how awful of your vet :( Its not your fault at all.

Is there any way that you can ask for a particular vet that you like so that you don't get this vet again?

I have to say, if a vet was like that with a pet of mine - I would change vets. (I have done in the past - it wasn't with buns though and we have now been with our vets for at least 6/7 years)

Thank you I don't really know what to do and probably too emotional at the moment to make a decision! The other vets there are lovely so I'll make sure I only see them in future

Aww Chick, One of our vets treat us like that. We all know you're doing Fantastically with your girls, and if you didnt care for them, then how would you know something wasnt right in the first place, and take them to the vets. Cheer up, they dont know what they are talking about half of em :roll: xx

SOUNDS LIKE THAT VET IS A KNOW IT ALL :evil: :evil:

NOTHING WRONG WITH ADVICE GIVEN IN THE CORRECT WAY ...BUT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SHE NEEDS TO GET HER FACTS RIGHT FIRST . :evil:

Is that vet permanent at that practice? If so, i would definately ask for another vet when you next make an appointment - esp if you are happy with the other vets that are there.

I'd definately ask for the other vets, She sounds like the woman who basically 'laughed off' Charlie being ill, Every time i went she treated me like, 'Oh, Not her with her perfectly healthy bun again *yawn*' and told me Charlie had behavioural problems, Funnily (or not) enough matey, I dont think he died of behavioural problems did he :evil: . Dont be shy to insist you see another vet, as if it was really serious, you might not get the advice and treatment you need :) xx

Thank you so much I knew I could rely on my friends on here to make me feel better :D It says alot when I value your opinons more than a qualified vet!!!! I only ever want to do the best for my babies and I appreciate any advice kindly given.Thanks again everyone I really do appreciate you all so much.

Thats what we are here for Jayne :D

I hope you manage to get seen in future by a vet you are happy with - and remember if you really didn't like that vet, go with your gut instinct, I say :wink:

Oh Jayne, please don't be upset. I (and everyone else) know that you are a fantastic bunny and two foot Mummy. You do your absolute best for your girls and your bunnies and they are an absolute credit to you!!
Sounds like you do need to think about changing the vet, they shouldn't make you feel like that :? I was cross with our vet the other day when I asked him about the rear guard and he just shrugged his shoulders, grrrr....doesn't fill you full of confidence!
Keep us posted!
Love and hugs....Nicola xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Nicola thanks for kind words I'm a bit calmer now! Guess I'm a bit sensitive and think I've done something wrong for my girl! It was heartbreaking having Ellie (the blonde younger one) crying in the car bless her she kept saying "but we love them and do everything we can for them" poor kid.I'll see how things go as the other vets there were really lovely.Lots of love

Awww I am so sorry you guys had to go through this experience...
I echo what everyone else says.. dont see that vet again..
I would have had a fit if my bunny had been ever handled roughly by a vet....
As it is they have to examine her on me lol... cos she jumps from the table to me everytime I try and put her down.

Aww Jayne your a fantastic bunny mummy!

I'm sorry to say however much we all appreciate what our vets do, some can be know-it-alls.
When I first took Esmerelda i felt terrible as the vet also gave me a lecture about diet etc and wouldn't listen to me explaining that she had teeth problems before I had her- and that I had took her on knowing this.

Another vet also pulled Hann out of his carrier by his ears- despite me saying it was top opening so it was easy to get him out! Was very angry.

I hope Gabby is ok, does she have to have her teeth done again soon then? Esmerelda has her check up tomorrow.
x

Thank you all so much for making me feel better :D I feel awful to have moaned about the vet (I don't like having a go at anybody!) but she really upset me,more about the way she lifted Gabbie out than what she said to me! After reading what you all said I thought to myself "Ok you've never had rabbits before these two but I came on here to find out how to look after them before I got them,I got them from the Rspca not a pet shop and I'd even sorted this years holiday boarding before I got them so I knew they'd be ok" so I've decided I'm not perfect by a long way but I do the best I can for them and I love them to bits.So thanks again for making me see sense when i'm a bit emotional (which does happen quite alot!!! :oops: )

Sounds like all that vet knew how to do was terrify your rabbit!!! Next time you ring up specifically say "I'd like to make an appointment specifically with Vet XXX - will it definatly be that vet I will be seeing?"

I had this trouble with my last vet - I ended up changing vets because Jack would shake when we returned home. The vet he goes to now gives him a cuddle and chats away to him. The first time he did that I said "pardon?" and he replied "Actually I was asking Jack where he had hidden his balls!" :oops: :lol:

Back