PDA

View Full Version : Porriage Oats

**Bonnie**
05-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Hiya,

My friend wants to fatten up her three legged bunny she rescued yesterday.

It must be only 8-10 weeks old.

I know porriage oats is the best but is he/she too young for this?? he/she is tucking in to loads of hay and pellets which is great but is very bony :cry:

Thanks

Gem
05-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I think it should be fine to add oats to his/her diet

loulouembers
05-06-2006, 04:55 PM
What about some higher protein grass/hay like readigrass or the Dodson and Horrell one?

Tamsin
05-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I'd give him/her a few days to settle first as I think you said she's had to change the dry food too?

**Bonnie**
05-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys...

he/she was fed on guinea pig food, so bryony has given pellets with some guinea pig food in just so it doesn't upset its tummy with a total change of diet.

I'll tell her to just give 2 spoonful of oats in the evening then and pellets in the morning.

have said not to give veg as it is only 8-10 weeks and am sure it is too young for veg just yet.

AlisonA
05-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't think I'd give as many oats as that, they are very 'gloopy' and starchy and he is only a baby. I only give Santa around a level teaspoon a day when she is snuffly, remember to soak them in a little water first as well, or they could swell up too much in his little tum. On a teaspoon a day, Santa gained over 100g in less than a fortnight (quite a lot considering she only weighed 880g to start with) so you don't need many!

**Bonnie**
05-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks Alison..teaspoon or table spoon??

Tea spoon is tiny??

Tamsin
05-06-2006, 06:01 PM
a tea spoon of oats mixed with water would be a good amount to start with. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but best to start small as they're very filling and he/she will need the fibre from hay and nutrients from the rabbit food as much as to put on weight.

A rabbit that age can be introduced to greens but because of the circumstances I'd leave it until he/she's has settled in a few weeks and got used to the other diet changes.

Changing rapidly to a good diet can be as bad as sticking to a bad diet. Although it's tempting to feed it all the good stuff asap, it's better to introduce things slowly :)

Tam

**Bonnie**
05-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks alot Tam - v helpful!